1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav update bricks stereo

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by s3nfo, Jun 20, 2014.

1. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Recently got a 50% coupon for Toyota Nav update DVD and since wife's been chirping in my ear about updating her nav in her 2010, I bought the update (version 95). Followed the directions and took the old DVD out (version 91) and put the new DVD in. DVD seated and I got a "Cannot read DVD" error on the screen, so ejected and put it back in and got the same error, and now the "open DVD" button no longer moves the screen up or ejects the DVD. Over the next hour the Stereo slowly degrades and finally stops working altogether, no audio, no blue tooth and the back-up camera even stops working. So off I go to Toyota and the try a soft reset, then they try power off reset by disconnecting battery and finally they hook up the Tech II and try resetting, all to no avail, stereo is still a brick. So they call corporate and are told that update 95 has too much data and overwhelms the memory in the stereo and eventually overwrites the entire memory including the operating system and bricks the radio. Stereo can't be reloaded or reflashed and has to be replaced. Although Toyota is replacing under a program, I'm still a bit skeptical. Anybody else ever had a problem with Nav updates or even heard of this?

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This sucks big time. Did they cover that by warranty?

3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get a new 12v and try again?
    New dealer also.

4. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, Toyota is covering it, it's not a warranty, it's a "customer satisfaction" program. Been waiting 2 weeks for the new radio to get here though, so getting a little concerned.

12v is fine, 14.2v, car still runs and everything else works except radio.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That is very strange. For our '04 Sienna they divided updates into East and West. Never once in the many times I've replaced the DVD did it brick the unit! It has happened with another brand vehicle, but copying with imgburn saved me there. I wouldn't be surprised if the update makes a brick out of the new unit...

SCH-R530M ?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's odd. It would be same update I did back in December (they only release one disc a year). Granted, the dealer ordered the wrong one at first (Gen 5 nav instead of Gen 6) but that didn't brick my unit. It just didn't allow me to do route guidance.

7. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, took Toyota 3 weeks to decide to do the right thing, but currently have a huge hole in the dash while the old unit is out getting refurbed. Now we'll see what happens when it comes back.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Curious. Where did you get this 50 percent off navigation disc? That is quite a bargain.

iPad ?

9. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you sign up for email alerts when you get service done, the local San Diego Toyota dealer network sends out email blasts with sales and specials. It was in one of the email blasts I got from Toyota of El Cajon.