1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav update & override on 2004

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Greg_M, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have used the search and looked at Coastal Tech's site. I haven't been able to find an answer.

I have a 2004 prius and it has the original nav disk in it. I haven't had to use the override yet but I don't want to give it up. I know if I put a newer disk in it that I will loose the override. I also know that some have had some success in making a hybrid disk.

My question is if I purchase a 9.1 nav disk is there a way to have some kind of override?

I don't want to make a hybrid disk and my understanding is that the Coastal Tech option won't work.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's possible to make a hybrid disk..I can't tell you the details, but there is a thread or two on the subject, you need a dual side DVD burner and a few other tricks, but it's not that difficult.

3. Greg_M

Greg_M Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I understand that it should be simple to do although I have also read about people having problems getting the hybrid disks to work right.

I'm concerned about having a backup plan (if I choose to try to make a disk) just in case I mess something up and loose the override function.

I'd also prefer a mechanical solution that would be easy for my wife to use.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are several easy mechanical solutions too, but I find the software solution superior.
    I wrote the original write up on overriding the speed sensor wire, but somewhere in the various site upgrades I've lost it and can no longer find it.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure version 9.1 will work with an 04 due to the change in screen resolution with the Nav system starting in 06.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    +1
    You loose over ride functions at V.8 typically. Even though you may order a DVD for older hardware (lower resolution MFD's), the manufacturer took the over ride feature out. Some (unconfirmed) say you can still get the over ride to work via combining older loading data disks onto newer map data ... and it's true to a point ... but good luck with that. Bottom line is, with the flat economy, road & new community development pretty much came to a grinding halt a couple years back ... not like the prior years with new communities springing up every where. With that in mind, 99% of folks can get by quite well with data no newer than version 7, imo. And realistically, v6 will do you just fine, map data wise. I've had no issue burning older loading files onto v6 data disks.

7. Greg_M

Greg_M Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Another question.

If I buy the 9.1 (gen 4) disk and use my 4.2 disk (think that's the number) to make a hybrid disk (if it works) will I miss out on any improvements? I know that the maps and POI's are improved but are there also improvements to the rest of the nav system?

I'm thinking about getting the 9.1 and maybe trying the hybrid disk or the speed wire switch.

8. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Got an 06' updated from ver 5 to ver 7 and am thinking about updating to ver 9 but it's starting to dawn on me that just buying a garmin or tom tom would be so much better than dealing with this pos nav in the prius, right thread jack, anyway, has anybody actually got ver 9 installed? I would love to hear first hand how it runs, and what personal impressions are...the more the merrier

9. firepa63

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you will have some problems. Starting with version 8.1, the security of the DVDs has been changed. You can't sucsessfully clone an 8.1 disk, so I doubt that you will be able to create a hybrid. You'll probably just waste 250 bucks.

10. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The 9.1 disk consists in my Gen 4 nav (yes I upgraded the Gen 3 nav from my 2002 Prius to the newer Prius' nav, its a plug and play swap!) mainly of road updates, and more building details in metropolitan areas like NY, MIAMI, CALIFORNIA, WASHINGTON DC (not state!). Canada gets more data put onto it (the coverage in Canada even after 8.1 is pathetic. My 2002 Neon's Chrysler Navigation is an order of magnitude better. It has my house built last year on the 2010 update I just got from Chrysler. I can search by Phone Number with far greater success too. Plus the accuracy of Chrysler maps (made by Alpine/Navteq) is accurate to within 2 metres. Toyota's maps, are 3-5 years behind, and I was told by a Denso rep that all maps are accurate to with 20 meters!!! That is why the silly thing always says you have arrived at your destination way before you actually arrive. Given the precision of the Prius, I am frequently astounded by the utter lack of consideration that Toyota gives to their horrendously expensive navigation. Especially since Chrysler charges $99 for their discs, while in here in Canada Toyota charges... sit down, $489!!!!

P.S. You can make a hybrid disc of 8.1 and 9.1
    Just replace the Loading.KWI and Version.KWI of the 8.1 disc with the same files as the 4.1 or 5.1 disc. All the new data will be there, except your firmware will be older. Trust me, there are no "real" functional upgrades from 4.1 to 8.1, other than the updates with regards to positional accuracy. You get your OVERRIDE back, but you lose a certain amount of accuracy. You really notice the difference on highways with lots of off ramps. 4.1 gets confused and jumps all over the place, while 8.1 and 9.1 are far more accurate.

11. Greg_M

Greg_M Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So it looks like I have to decide between these three choices:
    1- Get update, keep override, but have less accuracy
    2- Get update, loose override, but better accuracy (maybe put a switch in the speed wire)
    3- Get another Garmin and store it in the "secret" box for use when the Prius nav isn't sufficient

I think I'd prefer the 2nd option but the 3rd option is probably the better one.

12. Greg_M

Greg_M Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just went out to my Prius and finally looked at the detailed areas that it covers and it's pathetic! I never realized that it was soooooo bad because my local area is covered pretty decent but most of the country isn't covered in detail.

I have version 4.2. Did the detailed areas increase dramatically since that version?

13. firepa63

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The country is covered in detail. You have to select the Region you want the details for.

14. Greg_M

Greg_M Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I select the region and each region has very spotty coverage except for the northeast. I'm near charlotte (just close enough to be in the detailed area) and put in an address in Anderson, SC and while it found the address it also stated that in some areas along the way there would not be turn by turn directions. Both addresses, mine and his, are within 5 miles or so of I-85.

On my 4.2 disk about the only area in the northern part of SC that shows detail is the greenville area, western NC is basically only the Charlotte area and GA isn't much more then the Atlanta area. When I look at the detail areas in the different regions they seem to only be around the the major metro areas.

My system shows blue areas where the detail is when you pull-up each region. Basically every region excluding the northeast is quite sparse.

So my question was, has this improved dramatically or is it still basically the same?

My wife and I prefer the nav system in the prius but if Toyota's coverage hasn't improved substantially since 4.2 then my money would be better spent buying a Garmin and stashing it in the "secret" drawer for when the Prius' nav system comes up short.

I've thought about maybe taking a ride over to the Toyota dealership to take a look at the latest nav system regional detail.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You also have to be zoomed into the 700 foot scale or closer before small roads & dirt trails show up.

16. Greg_M

Greg_M Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hill,
    I don't know if you are responding to me. In case you are, my 4.1 maps will show me where in each region there is detailed information available to give me turn by turn directions to an inputted address. It isn't very much of the US. I have the original disk that came with my Prius when it was new. My 2004 Prius was manufactured in Oct 2003. So it doesn't matter how much I zoom in if the information for turn by turn directions to an entered address isn't there then the system can't help me. I don't use the zoom. I let the software control the zooming.

I want to find out how much better the mapping info is now. I have a Garmin with 2009 maps on it that only has half my street on it. I recently bought a new Garmin with 2010 maps on it and it now shows my street correctly. My street has been here since 1998.

I would think that since Toyota and Garmin get their map info from the same company that it should be the same but from what I've read it isn't.