1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav. Updates and Hybrids. Soooo confused?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by eddie27970, Apr 4, 2009.

1. eddie27970

eddie27970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Now proud owner of 04 Prius, 05 Prius, and 09 Prius. Love new maps and roads in 09 Nav. (04 does not have Nav.) Been reading, and am about to try to make hybrid Nav DVD using 05 loading.kwi merged into 09 Nav DVD. (Problems with Nero and bitsetting to DVD-ROM, but working on this. About to buy $99 Nero 9 to make hybrid with.)

05 Nav is Ver .04.1. 09 Nav is Ver .08.1. Many links on Internet say this will work, switching loading.kwi file around, and then being able to "override" in the 09 Prius Nav, and have new maps in 05 Prius.

But I'm confused on post about the MFD in the different years. Is there a difference? Saw something about 09 MFD being "digital" Gen 5. And then something about 05 MFD being Gen 4. What does this mean? And, furthermore, does this mean the Nav. disk ver .08.1 will not work in my 05 Prius? (haven't tried, yet, due to disconnecting battery and losing radio, etc. information. Cannot seem to loacte just one fuse to pull to cause reload of Nav. ....which leads to second question when changing Nav DVD's, will unplugging DVD connectors work same as disconnecting battery?)

It would seem if I went to Toyota and bought an update Nav DVD for my 05 Prius, would it be the same as the one already in my 09? Or, is there some differences in the MFD that would require different DVD's? i.e. ver 08.1 for year 04 and 05, and then a different ver .08.1 for year 06, and so on? ...due to different MFD's?

Any help in understanding all this is greatly appreciated. Been reading posts here and at Toytoa.Nation, and Lexus for several days. Thought I'd just give up and ask others for help. Thank you

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two "version" numbers that you have to follow. One is the navigation unit itself and other is the disc.

The '04-'05 use the Gen 4 navigation. The '06-'09s use the Gen 5. The map disc is currently at version 7.1 (I'm not sure if version 8 is out yet). Version 7.1 took away the I Agree screen (well it didn't require the user to press I Agree every time the car started). Most people made a hybrid disc with disc version 5.1 and 7.1.

If you were to buy a map update for your '05, the mapping data will be the same but the disc may be slightly different to account for the screen resolution and/or new features not found in your Gen 4 system in your '05 Prius.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The current map version is 8.1. I have that version in my 09.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... anything new?

5. eddie27970

eddie27970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, hers is what happened. Following directions using ImgBurn, I successfully made a backup of my ver .04.1 from my 05 Prius. At first, I'd disconnect my positive battery terminal from under the hood. Later, I found disconnecting the wiring plugs from the DVD did the samething, causing the Nav. to "load" when turning back on.

But, here is what else has happened. (Knowing for a fact I can successfully burn a backup Nav DVD, and see it load.) I also tried the ver .08.1 for the 09 Prius in the 05 Prius. Says it cannot read the data. I then downloaded ver. .05.1 loading.kwi file and inserted it into ver .08.1, and burned this. Said not correct DVD. And then last, I inserted ver .04.1 loading.kwi file into ver .08.1, and tried this. It showed it loaded, and then said it could not read data.

Baised on what Tideland is saying, this difference in gen. 4 Nav, and Gen. 5 Nav systems must be my downfall.

How can I update my Gen. 4 Nav? it seems ver .08.1 will not wrok. What about earliler versions? i.e. .05.1, .06.1, and/or .06.1? I see some of this on Ebay. Would hate to sink that kind of money, and have it be same result I already get.

What can I do? Oh Woooeeeessss Meeeee

6. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The 09 is Gen 5 and the 04 & 05 are gen 4, the gen 5 will not work in a gen 4 drive. You will need to get a gen 4 DVD for the 04 & 05.