1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV voice command question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by qbee42, May 14, 2006.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is one of those issues that isn't important except that I can't figure it out, so now it bothers me. Here is my issue:

With the NAV display in single map mode, I can issue the voice command "compass mode"; the MFD switches to compass mode. Now here is the interesting part: once in compass mode, I can't find a voice command that switches back to a map display. If I say "single map" or "dual map", Jill says that the command is not valid in that mode. If I say "map", she says something like "displaying location", but stays in compass mode. There doesn't seem to be a valid voice command to get back.

I can switch back by pushing the display mode button on the touch screen and switching to single or dual map.

Do you think this is a bug, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 15 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]255797[/snapback]</div>
    Or maybe North Up. Since I don't have my Prius yet I'm only guessing based on my Garmin. Compass mode means the car arrow is always pointing up and the map rotates? North Up would lock the map with north to the top and the car pointer rotates.

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "Map" worked just now for me.

I considered "North Up" but figured that would be rejected in compass mode.

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 15 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]255797[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Rick, but as I said in my original post, "map" only causes Jill to say "current position". "map direction" is not allowed with that screen.

I went through the list of commands from the help screen on the MFD, and didn't find any that worked. Not, of course, trying every command and permutation, but trying any that looked promising.

So I'm back to my original question. Let's see if anyone can figure this out. <_<

Tom

6. MarkR

MarkR New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 15 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]255843[/snapback]</div>
    The Australian G2 does not have this feature. The button is there but it does nothing, no mention of it in the manual :angry:

Is there any way of turning it on?

Mark

7. thomasdroot

thomasdroot New Member

I use the compass button in the upper left corner to shift the map from "North Up" to "Whatever-Direction-I'm-Driving Up."

8. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 15 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]255843[/snapback]</div>
    What is your build date? The 11/05 2006's have a known problem with the "AM Radio" command not working - it recognizes the command but doesn't do anything. I wonder if this is another example of the same type problem? My car had it's NAV unit and DVD replaced about 6 weeks ago. That fixed the "AM radio" problem, but mine acts just like yours: "Map" just repeats the current position and leaves me in compass mode.

- (a different) Tom

9. priusman88

priusman88 Junior Member

Saying "Single Map" works fine for me. Maybe Jill just isn't understanding you properly. Try saying "Change to Single Map" instead of just "Single Map". That works too, and it's harder to misunderstand.

-- Paul

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusman88 @ May 18 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]257712[/snapback]</div>
    I think it must be a build date issue. Jill recognizes the command, because she says something like "single map mode not allowed in this screen."

I'll check the build date.

Thanks,
    Tom

11. aparks1569

aparks1569 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 14 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]255354[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 14 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]255354[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 18 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]257745[/snapback]</div>

I have the same situation as Tom #1 -- Build date: 3/06. Interested in a solution, although not a big deal.

12. priusman88

priusman88 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aparks1569 @ May 18 2006, 06:47 PM) [snapback]257753[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'm stumped. I'm driving a 2004, obviously with an older build date. I don't have any problem with this. I would again recommend saying "CHANGE TO Single Map" instead of just "Single Map". When Jill misunderstands (at least with my car) she only says "Command not available in this screen" without repeating what command she thought she heard you say. For all I know, she could think I was asking for winning lottery numbers. Just a thought. Don't know why a more recent build date would remove functionality...

-- Paul

13. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I tried the other day, and Jill seemed to misunderstand my command. (If you look at the Nav, she shows you what she thought you said.)

After about four tries, she finally understood when I said "map." And she told me to get lost...not available in this screen.

14. count_on_mike

count_on_mike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't seen anyone actually answer qbee42's question about getting out of compass mode with just voice commands. I am compiling a list of all 2006 Voice Commands and have tried all of them except the Bluetooth ones (I don't have a bluetooth phone). And this is what I have found.

Getting out of Compass Mode is indeed VERY difficult with voice commands. You must be under guidance to get out.

If you get into compass mode and have a destination set, then these commands will get you back to a single map:

1) "Turn by turn guidance" - gets you to another guidance screen. This is the only "guidance" command that reliably gets me out of compass mode. "Arrow guidance" and "Turn list guidance" sometimes works.
    2) "Single Map" - back to where you started.

If you get into compass mode and there is no destination set, then you must set a destination, switch to single map, and then delete your destination. It goes something like this:

1) "Previous Destination" - Can't use "Nearest "____"", must use a Quick Access or Previous destination
    2) "Enter Destination"
    3) "Show Map" or "Map" - takes you back to compass mode and starts guidance. You might have to drive to the start of guidance to get guidance to start.
    4) "Turn by turn guidance"
    5) "Single Map"
    6) "Delete All Destinations" - remove destination
    7) "Yes" - back to where you started

For 6), you may also say "Stop guidance" if you don't want to remove destination.

So it is 6 or 7 steps to verbally get out of Compass Mode.

Conclusion: Push the button.

Mike

(I don't have my build date, but it's a Gray #8 that I got on 4/28/06)