1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation day/night mode?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by cornflakes, Aug 31, 2012.

1. cornflakes

cornflakes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all, in my C3's navigation system there's the option to set the map display to day or night mode. I have it set to automatic but it doesn't seem to ever switch to night mode on its own. How is night mode triggered, does anyone know?

2. norahs

norahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think mine triggered into night mode when I turned on my headlights?

side question, is there anyway to adjust the brightness of the nightmode? I found it hard to view as the sun was setting so there was still some ambient light and the nightmode was just too dark.

3. cornflakes

cornflakes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm, interesting... That's what the manual says too, is that it's supposed to be triggered by the position of the headlight switch. My headlight switch doesn't seem to have any effect on the map though... Thanks for confirming it!

4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Check that you don't have the "instrument panel light control" set in the clickstop position at the fully up end of its travel. This locks the brightness at max, and it then won't change when you turn on the headlights.

This is useful if you need the lights on because it's raining, for example, but you still want the displays at full brightness. It affects the instrument panel lights, the multi-function display, and the audio/navigation display.

cornflakes likes this.
  5. cornflakes

cornflakes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Aha! Thank you ftl... That is exactly it. I had the instrument panel lights set to max (I love bright lights). Turning that down made the navigation map switch to night mode while the headlights were on. Takes a little while to get used to the rest of the instrument panel lights look a little dim in the dark, but I guess it's better this way :)

6. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    can the radio/map LCD screen brightness be adjusted independently of the dashboard dimmer? That would be nice as I find it a little darker than I'd like in comparison to the other displays during night driving.