1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation ECU disassembly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vkykam, May 28, 2007.

1. vkykam

vkykam New Member

The instructions can be found HERE but I managed to take some pics the last time I disassembled it.

(1) Remove rear bolt from behind driver's chair.

[​IMG]

(2) Remove 2 front bolts from in front of driver's chair. Remove the ECU connectors.

[​IMG]

(3) Remove ECU assembly from underneath chair. Remove side rails.

(4) Remove 8 screws.

[​IMG]

(5) Remove front bezel.

[​IMG]

(6) Remove cover to reveal the ECU guts.

[​IMG]

(7) Flip over the left circuitboard on the picture, and press the switch for several seconds.

[​IMG]

(8) Assemble in reverse order.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice photos of the process, thanks for linking to HTMLSpinner's post as I wasn't clear on why you were posting this.

For those interested, if you are playing around in some of the hidden menus on the MFD and accidently hit the "Loading" button it will mess up your NAV and you have to go in and hit the black button to reset the system to get it working again. A PITA, but reasonable punishment for the 'crime' I think!

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 28 2007, 02:02 PM) [snapback]451102[/snapback]</div>
    There was a desperate cry for help on this thread:

Failed Navigation System

4. Sugar5

Sugar5 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 28 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]451106[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks so much. With the pictures it looks very easy. I'll do it tomorrow when i have more time. Would be great if i don't have to go to a dealer...:)

5. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sugar5 @ May 28 2007, 05:41 PM) [snapback]451123[/snapback]</div>
    Make your boyfriend do it as punishment for pressing the button. :)

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ahh, this will be a great reference in case this happens to someone else. thanks, vkykam!

7. vkykam

vkykam New Member

Great reference for someone else, or perhaps ME. I'm prone to repeating the same dumb mistakes... ;-)

Only took me 3 months and the crying help of another member to get off my duff and post those photos. :-D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 28 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]451144[/snapback]</div>

8. c4

c4 Active Member

A good thing to do might be to mark the position of the switch on the metal chassis, and while you've got the circuit board removed, to drill a hole through the chassis so that you can insert a pen or something to click the switch withouit having to open the box up again should you ever need to reset the unit again.

9. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ May 28 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]451252[/snapback]</div>
    Wouldn't the switch be accessible through the existing opening?

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      47.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That opening in the metal case is just about where the slide switch is located in the plastic face. hmmmmm...

11. surge

surge New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vkykam @ May 28 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]451099[/snapback]</div>
    my ECU unit has a sticker on it U3 (3rd gen?)
    part # is 86841-53030

The inside simply has one board attached to a drive without a momentary switch.

Any idea how to reset it?

1 person likes this.
  12. surge

surge New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(surge @ Sep 27 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]518616[/snapback]</div>
    Also, can someone tell me what markings are on the board where the switch is located? (batt1, rst1, etc)
    If the marking is at least there on my board, I may be able to bridge the connection temporarily.

13. bill02888

bill02888 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just built a hybrid nav DVD disc (7.1 with loading.kwi from 5.1) and wanted to load it. Saw a reference to using reload from the service menu. I tried that. Oops! Now I'm stuck with the "Please insert correct map disc." screen.

I disassembled most of the nav ECU. I reached my finger through the hole while ECU was removed from car and pressed the button for at least 20 seconds. I then reconnected the ECU without putting on all the covers or bolting it in. Still get the "Please insert correct map disc." screen. I tried reaching through the hole to press the "reset button". It ejected the DVD. Turns out that the slider switch that ejects the DVD presses that button. So it seems it's an eject button instead of a reset button. Any other ideas for my 2005 Prius? Think removing power from negative battery terminal for 5+ minutes might do the trick? It's gotta be something simple!

- Bill

1 person likes this.
  14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Take a look at this post:

15. travla

travla New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just fixed my 2004 Toyota Kluger (a.k.a. Highlander) using the steps above, though I'd share my gratitude to htmlspinnr. Prior to performing the fix outlined above, I tried everything to get back in to the Override menu, but oncee you get that message of death "Please insert correct map disc", this is the only thing that can save you (unless you remember which country you selected and find a suitable map disc).

Anyway, I was sweating about doing it, but in the end it was much easier than I thought, and somewhat gratifying after it was all completed and working. Thanks again to htmlspinnr for sharing this fix.

16. bensonbrad

bensonbrad PriusNW

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2005 Prius. I was one of those who pressed the the "Loading" button. I pulled the ECU and followed step by step everything in the pictures. After the 3rd try held the button down about to 2 Minutes. Nothing changed,. I still get an error that the NAVI is NCON (not connected) in diagnostics and the display reads, "Please insert correct map disc." on a green background Any suggestions?

17. bensonbrad

bensonbrad PriusNW

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just repaired my 2005 Prius ECU following the above instruction posted by htmlspinnr. It worked perfectly! It was disconnecting the ribbon cable hence the battery to the memory that did it. Thanks!

18. smixer

smixer New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you for the pics! Did it and all back to normal. Will cancel that appointment with the dealer tomorrow. They hadn't a clue when I went in and am sure there would have been a huge bill.

19. Dot

Dot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :confused:
    We think you are on to something! Before going through the trouble of removing this DVD Unit, it might be worth trying to just unplugging connections then re-plugging to reset.

We just followed instruction to remove complete NAV & found ours has only one board. We pressed "reset button" that looked as pictured, while re-assembling we noticed this connect to eject switch. Yeah! It works now! But, if it errors again we will try unplugging before pulling the whole unit apart.

20. phxprius

phxprius Junior Member

ANY IDEA on a Reset Switch for the 2007 Nav System? Different board set-up