1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation Enhancement Kit from CoastalETech

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DudleyDoRight, Feb 6, 2006.

1. DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight New Member

I just received my Navigation Enhancement Kit from CoastalEtech. I ordered it so long ago, I had forgotten all about it until I got an email last week. Has anyone installed one yet? The installation is certainly simple. However, I want to make sure it works and doesn't mess up my electronics.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have not as yet but looking at the device it is a no-brainer. Give the Nav a few minutes to go through the set up steps after you get done. Not dissimilar to the CAN-View if you choose to disconnect both of the connectors on the NAV ECU (the one under the drivers seat). Just do it.

3. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I put mine in last night (took less than 3 minutes - I know because I was heating up soup in the microwave at the time). It works great. Easy install. Just put the plugs into the Nav unit FIRST, then plug the wires into the kit.

Rick

4. dkenglish7

dkenglish7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It took me about 5 minutes to install; I guess I'm a little less coordinated than the other poster. The installation did reset some of the optional settings in my NAV system, changing me to North-up from my preferred Heads-up display. But my preset destinations were unaffected.

Despite the ease of installation, I'm rather disappointed with the unit. It does reliably press the "I Agree" button. Sometimes it also presses the button sequence to activate the service menu override of the NAV lockout (I suspect it wouldn't work with 2006 units as a result of needing that sequence), but sometimes I have to press Destination multiple times before it triggers the anti-lockout sequence. Not sure if that is related to starting from different MFD screens or just an inconsistency in the unit's behavior.

Coastal's web site offered - and I ordered - a unit that also overcomes the phone/bluetooth lockout. That didn't arrive, and there was no explanation or notification. As many others have noted on the forum, that is usual for dealings with Coastal.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It took me about 5 minutes as well, mainly because it was done at night, in my parent's driveway and I had to use a flashlight. :)

As stated, some things got reset. One thing that really spooked me was that I was looking up a street a few miles from where I live and it couldn't find it! I had to use a 2002 Thomas Guide to get there. When I got to the street it showed up on the display. Later I found that it changed the search area from California/Nevada to Florida.
    :blink:
    I just went to Coastal's site and the BT override isn't offered any more.

6. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, this is what the Coastal site says:
    Bluetooth Enable for Nav Enhancement Kit! -Preorder SOLD OUT!!
    This does not effect orders already placed. Bluetooth and Nav combo kit will ship together when Bluetooth product shipment begins.

The BT add on wasn't available when I ordered my Nav kit. I would like to get it if it does become available. Has anyone received and installed a BT kit?

7. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Easy install. Took minutes. Did need to use a flashlight though (as it was raining and car was in garage). No tools needed!

8. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Junior Member

9. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Must have been the NAV only kit?

The NAV kit with Bluetooth took me an hour to install - mostly due to the methodical dismanteling of the dashboard. Re-assembly of the dash was substantially faster.

10. agile pagile

agile pagile New Member

Must have been the NAV only kit?

The NAV kit with Bluetooth took me an hour to install - mostly due to the methodical dismanteling of the dashboard. Re-assembly of the dash was substantially faster.
    [snapback]220214[/snapback]​
    [/quote]
    Well please tell us how it works. Are you able to use all the controls for the phone when in motion? Are you happy with the product and what it does? Thanks much, Agile

11. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I think it's great! Some say it's pricey for what you get (most of us here know how to manually bypass the NAV system for free) Until someone figures out how to disable the Bluetooth restrictions, this is the only way to go.

Please see my previous posts

12. dgstan

dgstan Member

I'm confused. What do you mean "figure out how to disable the Bluetooth restrictions"?

Are you talking about being able to dial out using the keypad while moving? I thought we figured that out long ago. I installed the functionality on the same (DPST) switch as my NAV bypass.

DGStan

13. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Now I'm confused.

We've had the NAV kepress sequence bypass for a long time, but no way to enable the full functionality of Bluetooth while moving. I must have missed the discussions regarding a NAV bypass switch which also enables the Bluetooth?

Did all of us who waited for Coastal's Bluetooth mod just spend hundreds of dollars when all we really needed was a $5 switch and and some connectors from Radio Shack?

14. dgstan

dgstan Member

Well...

Yes and no. The $5 switch doesn't override the "I Agree" button and it only activates the input for a few minutes at a time (at which point you have to flip the switch back and forth to re-engage). I assume Coastal's setup activates the input indefinitely.

On the other hand, it's only $5 (or $2.99 in my case).

Others may have more input, but that's how I understand it.

15. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have the NAV kit without the BT override. It does a macro of the manual override when you press DEST for the first time after you power up. As such as long as you don't power down, you can enter the information as long as you like.

16. dreichla

dreichla New Member

There are two functions Coastals NAV kit with Bluetooth does. . .

NAV Side
    1 Automatically presses the "I Agree" button and then allows complete access to all of the NAV functions through the use of a macro (the keypress sequence we've all read so much about here.)

Bluetooth Side
    2. Allows complete use of the phone system in increments of about 20 seconds at a pop. After which, you need to press the off hook button on the steering wheel again to re-activate it for the next 20 seconds - and so on. Nothing indefinate about it.

So, if I understand you correctly, the switch you are describing does the same thing as item number 2 above?

17. dgstan

dgstan Member

Yes, it does the same as number 2 in a sense. But, to reactivate the input, you don't need to press the "off hook" button (which would cancel what you're doing). You only need to flip the switch back and forth to "un-gray" the input buttons. It remembers where you left off.

Also, it does the same thing for all NAV related input.

Of course, I'm writing this from memory. I really don't use it too much. I find it easier to dial numbers directly from the phone (I can do it without taking my eyes off the road). Entering NAV info while driving is really scary. It's temping to do, but it's not worth the risk.

So, I guess the only thing the coastal tech unit does is push the "I Agree" button.

18. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Do you have a link for this? I see the one for the NAV, or are they together?

19. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It is currently not available unless you ordered it with the Nav kit some time ago. This is the note that is toward the bottom of Coastal's 04Prius page:
    "Bluetooth Enable for Nav Enhancement Kit! -Preorder SOLD OUT!!
    This does not effect orders already placed. Bluetooth and Nav combo kit will ship together when Bluetooth product shipment begins."

20. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Em, I was asking about the wired custom override where there's a toggle switch, not the Coastal Tech version. I was curious if it was a separate proceedure to install this, or was part of the NAV override. Thanks for the information, though.