1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation: if you could have any system you want...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Madeleine, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Madeleine

Madeleine Student of Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you knew then what you know now, WHICH BRAND AND MODEL of non-portable navigation system would you want in your Prius? Factory? No?

No system is perfect, and I really REALLY don't want to re-open the discussion about class action suits against Toyota because the factory system didn't find an address - others did a GREAT job at expressing horror at that suggestion!:tape2:

Step into the time machine... go back to the beginning with your new Prius... on the basis of quality alone, which system would you want?

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't understand the question.....non-portable would be factory......

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only non-portable system is the factory system, but I will modify your question as follows: "Going back in time and doing it all over again, what navigation system would you put in your Prius?" My answer is the factory system. It works well, and I like having it integrated with the car (display and dead reckoning sensors).

Tom

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree question doesnt make sense. i use verizon wireless VZ navigator. its 9.99 a month standalone (i have it as part of premium plan) it does updates so no buying new discs, moves from car to car, works well. is something i would have on me 24/7 anyway (i dont have a landline... better things to spend my money on... of course, being lucky enough to live where cellphone service is good enough to rely on helps A LOT!!)

can be programmed in advance (we do it all the time. look at google to get addresses of where we want to go, punch it into the phone, the night before, then while driving the next day, bring it up... done! works like a charm)

integrated with my BT headset, it gives me turn by turn directions, map display that automatically zooms in when getting close to turns or other complicated areas including a side bar that counts down distance to turn starting at 1000 feet making missing a turn pretty hard to do.

i should mention at $120 a year, that is not much more than what is costs to by DVD updates for most systems and i have ZERO upfront cost

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't know since I don't have extensive exposure to the Denso unit, just a few test drives here and there.

6. lesturner

lesturner Taming the Dragon - Tennessee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I prefer the Garmin Nuvi 600 series... It has all the toys and does not give me the 'Guidance not available in this area' message. If it shows on the screen, it can route to it...