1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation Info

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Venturer, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Venturer

Venturer New Member

I just picked up our 05 Tideland Prius last night. I have a total of 68 miles on it. I am used to my Garmin Street Pilot III GPS and I find it more precise and accurate. I started to experiment and read about the Prius Nav unit and I discovered that it gives a street address number of 2174 when I am home at 2111. The street is correct, but the number seems to be off. It also lags behind my position, but corrects itself after I make a turn. The only reason we got it was to get a tape player so my wife could listen to her books on tape. Right now it seems like a pretty high priced tape player!!! Any suggestions?????

Doug

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a Garmin iQue and Belle. I find that both have problems with their data bases. For instance the street numbers for the Garmin data base are backwards for my street. I live on a loop and the database for the Garmin are right to left reversed. Go figure. The Prius has it right. But in other areas the Garmin is better. All of the data bases for Nav systems are provided by a few companies, the Nav system people buy the data from these people. Most of the Nav system companies have a way to report errors. I would encourage everyone to report even minor errors, so we can improve the data. It is in all of our best interests to do this.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Put the NAV in compass view and compare its GPS coordinates to the Garmin to see if it's the land coordinates that are off (NAV itself) or the address to coordinates mapping. I suspect the latter. I believe the NAV is taking address endpoints, which may cover several blocks, and interpolating the address based on percentage.

For example, if a street goes from 1000 to 10000, and you are halfway betweeen the 2 points, nav would say you are at 5000, but the addressses may not be linear in real life, and thus that would be an incorrect address.