1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation Lady off, just beeps?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mswhealer, Mar 4, 2005.

1. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

Hi all, When I am navigating, (which thanks to my job is ALL the time) I would like the Navigation Lady to turn off, but I would still like there to be a beep when I am coming up to the turn and the double beep when i am there. Is there any way to just set that instead of listening to her?

If I were in charge of creating the Prius, I would have put in an Easter egg so that when someone says "thank you" (for getting me somewhere) she would respond "you're welcome." She doesn't by the way, but if you thank her, she will show you where the ATMs are. I think that is jsut her way of saying you're welcome.

So let me know what you know about turning her off and keeping just the beeps. Thanks!

2. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

The Nav manual seems to indicate the two things you are thinking of. It makes a distinction between "voice guidance" and "route guidance," but is not clear to which one the beeps belong. Pages 40-42 seem to indicate the beeps are part of the Voice guidance. You can control (p. 82-83) whether you hear beeps on the Map screen only, or when any screen is displayed.

Try the Menu button then the Setup switch. Up to three users can have different settings for things like background color and Volume (p. 63 and 76-77).

There is another way. If you only want beeps you can create a few icons along the way and they can play a sound as you approach them (p. 69). You would also have to plan your travel to visit all of those icons in sequence. But this is not automatic nor helpful when choosing (for example) to exit on a high-speed ramp. You would be better off to Suspend Guidance when you don't want to hear the voice, and Resume Guidance when you want the beeps and (unfortunately for you) the voice.

About the ATM icons: I'm guessing the car hears you say "Thank you" or "Thanks" and imagines that you want it to show "Banks." I'm sure a phrase like "cash station" would be very confusing.

Extra credit: Page 38 slyly mentions Demo mode. This is possible as you begin route guidance. I think it quickly replays the entire route you are about to take. I recall a discussion about this; the speed of the replay can be controlled as it plays, and I think it can zoom in and out.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Demo mode, didn't see that in the navigation manual til you mentioned it. There is the wording Demo Mode in one of the kwi files, I think its loading.kwi, so it may be more than just the playback.