1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation only on Package 7+???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clintd555, Feb 15, 2006.

1. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

If I'm looking at this correctly, it seems that navigation is only available for package 7's and above. Am I correct? Feature wise, I can live with a Package 3, but jumping up to a 7 adds quite a few thousand dollars. We're talking from $25k to $29k jump!

However looking at the Civic Hybrid, I could get Navigation with for about $24k... of course I'll loose the backup camera and a few other cool features that's Prius exclusive, but MPG-wise they pretty much give the same average figures in daily driving conditions. Hmm.

I hope I'm wrong in thinking there's no Package 3 or 4 w/NAV. <_<

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

You are not wrong.
    Believe it or not, many of us don't want to pay for NAV.

3. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Civic 12 sec to 60mph Vs. <10 for the prius.
    Prius has almost 50% more cargo space.

4. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Don't know about you but I'm 6' 3". I can't begin to fit in a Civic. Don't like the layout either. Just feels cramped, no headroom, etc.

Go with the lower package Prius for the extra room and get the bigger tax credit. Then, buy an aftermarket NAV system. It's cheaper and probably better anyway.

IMHO... The Toyota NAV isn't all that great 'cause the updates are mega $$$. Plus, you can't do any programing unless the car is at a standstill.

5. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Well I think they should offer the Nav on a sub $26k car to complete with the '06 Civic in that regard. Perhaps they'll do this for the '07 year.

In anycase, I'll continue my research. I probably can live without NAV... hmmm rear fold-down seats or NAV. I think I'll get more use out of the rear folding seats. ;)

6. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

You may have just talked me out of the Toyota NAV.... how much are the updates? I thought once you get the NAV, it's pretty much free to use. Are you referring to the new DVD updates?

7. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

I would recommand Garmin Nuvi 350

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I would love NAV... but, it's $2500 from my package 5 to package 7... plus about 150 more for sales tax... that's a lot for a nav system that doesn't let you touch the screen while in motion.

One day, most cars have NAV screens with up to the minute traffic flow, accident markers, mcDonalds, etc... I would have thought $400 for the nav would be plenty. they must need their R&D dollars back. The screen's already in the car, you just need the logic board, a small hard drive and 50 bucks for an antenna...

I'd love to have it, but 2500 bucks gets me hid lights and nav.

It'll come down, it's not run of the mill in most cars yet.

9. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

I'm sure there's got to be many more additions you're paying for to go from a Package 3 to a 7 besides just the NAV and HID lights.

10. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Package #7 -- includes driver and front passenger front seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags [2], anti-theft system and auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® [5] universal transceiver, Smart Key System, backup camera [3], Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [4], High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and integrated fog lamps, JBL® AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with nine speakers in seven locations, auxiliary audio jack, MP3/WMA playback capability and hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [6] wireless technology, and voice-activated DVD navigation system [7]

Package #3 -- includes driver and front passenger front seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags [2], AM/FM CD with six speakers, auxiliary audio jack and MP3/WMA playback capability, Smart Key System, and backup camera [3]

There's quite a lot more "toys" you're getting with Package 7. I wouldn't say the entire $2500 is wasted... unless of course the other items are useless to you. I'm sure if I had those features, I'll make some use out of them, but I can live with out them.

I'm in no rush to make a purchase. Hopefully I can wait a couple more years or so... but who knows.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I too was rather annoyed that I had to go w/all the extra stuff in package #7 to get a nav system.

I've shied away w/aftermarket nav systems for my other car (and previous) car since to me it'd be a big target for theft (unlike ones that are factory installed and won't easily work on any other car).

I've seen the Nuvi and was impressed by its small size. Only problem w/systems like that are you've got extra stuff to carry around and worry about charging. If you power it in your car, you got more wires to worry about. I'm already charging my iPod, using the aux in w/the iPod and powering a radar detector. Sometimes I charge a cell phone too. You also have to turn its volume up if you use your car stereo. And then you've got the conflicting goals of small size vs. screen size.

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm with unruhly on this one. The GPS isn't that good. I have a PDA based system that has more features and better routing but a much smaller screen.

Wildkow