1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation/Sirius questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by drum4him, May 22, 2007.

1. drum4him

drum4him New Member

Planning on buying shortly, but struggling to spend the hundreds more for the Navigation when I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 that is portable. I have searched but did find most of these questions answered on this board, nor at the dealer.

1. Does the Nav system call out the street names such as "turn right on First Street" or just tells you to turn right or left?

2. How soon does it tell you. My Garmin 350, sometimes only gives me 1/10 of a mile to make my turn. On a freeway this can be dangerous.

3. How long does it take for the Nav. system to connect with the satellite link? The Garmin, using just the built in antenna, can take up to 2 or 3 minutes.

As for the Sirius Radio, the salesperson said the radio is already in the cars, and just a phone call is needed to start the subscription. I suspicious that a last minute install charge will have to be negotiated.

1. Does the factory installation display song titles?

2. How many presets are there?

3. Is the service offered free for a brief period of time?

Thanks for you replies,

Rich

2. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drum4Him @ May 22 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]447805[/snapback]</div>
    I got my unit from Sirius Prius prior to it being offered by the dealer. I did however have them install XM, in my 07 prior to buying. I am guessing they are not being upfront with you, I doubt that they already have the tuner in the car, that would be a huge waste of $$ on thier part to have it in each car already, so that would need to be installed. The radio's i believe are all sat ready, just need to plug in the satellite tuner box and run the wires. I only get 8 characters of the song and title, not sure if they fixed that yet.

Also make sure you ask them where they are going to put the antenna if you get it from them, they put mine on the inside of the windshield about 4 inches from the top side of the passenger side of the car.

My advice would be to buy it after from on here and install yourself, unless they are going to give you a good deal.

Don't know about the nav, sorry, and good luck! :)

3. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drum4Him @ May 22 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]447805[/snapback]</div>
    If you already have a Nav system, then I don't know how much extra value will be added by buying the integrated system. One big advantage my older '05 system, and your portable unit, is the ability to make adjustments while the car is moving (by your passenger, of course!) :) You can't do that with a current system (someone correct me if they've since figured out how).

On the integrated side, the built-in system is integrated with your Bluetooth phone, so you can call a restaurant or hotel using a POI icon on your map (touch the Hotel, touch 'Info', touch call). You also don't have to remember to bring the system, it is always there and available.

Caveat: Remember I'm answering these questions based on an '05 with a v5.1 DVD, but I doubt much has changed.

In my experience, the system does not call out street names, unless a highway is involved. Example: "Next left, then left onto I-69 South."

The distance varies -- I believe it is more time-related. At slow speeds, or very short stretches of road, it may be 1/10 of a mile. On the highway it is always 2 miles. It varies in between.

It also beeps when it is about to instruct you on an upcoming turn, and beeps twice at the turn. Example: "In a quarter of a mile left turn. Pause. Beep. Next Left. Beep, Beep. Proceed about 7/10 of a mile. In half a mile, right turn..."

Also, I have my display set so the next 3 turns are displayed on the right half of my screen. In that area it shows you which way you will be turning, what the road name is, and how far it is between each turn. It even has a countdown to the next turn.

When you get close to the turn, that section changes to a close-up of the intersection, and shows a constant countdown in tenths of miles, along with the position of your car, and the marked route.

The system gives you quite a lot of feedback. The typical end of a route goes something like this: "Proceed about 1 mile to your destination. Pause. Your destination is ahead on the right. Pause. You have arrived at your destination."

It will also automatically re-route you if you miss a turn, or take a road that you prefer.

I've never had any other impression than satellite lock is instantaneous. Maybe the circuit stays powered on, I don't know. I got in my car a minute ago and tested this, and didn't get any different indication. The 'GPS' indicator that it displays when it's using satellites was there as soon as I powered on. My '05 has a secret screen where I can engage override so I can make adjustments while the car is moving, and one of the menu options there is to look at the satellites. I looked at them as quick as I could get there (just 15 seconds or so), and the satellites were all locked and being tracked. Like I say, that circuit may remain powered on between uses, I don't know.

The car also uses the position, speed, and direction of the front tires to do fine adjustments to your location, like showing you just turned from facing north to facing south in a parking lot. A non-integrated system can't do that, but my point is the car saves your last known position, and even without an immediate lock can use the speed and direction of the tires to keep track of your location until the satellites come on-line. Since I think the satellites may always be on-line, this might only be useful in a parking garage, or some other location where the satellites may be blocked.

Hope that helps!

4. drum4him

drum4him New Member

"The car also uses the position, speed, and direction of the front tires to do fine adjustments to your location, like showing you just turned from facing north to facing south in a parking lot. A non-integrated system can't do that, .........."

Thanks Wayne! That helps quite a bit.

But to clarify for others. My non-integrated Nuvi, once connected to the Sats. will show 180 turns. But maybe you were pointing out that the integrated system knows exactly what the postion, speed and wheels of the car are up to, which makes sense.

Rich

5. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drum4Him @ May 23 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]448489[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I was pointing out the car can handle a temporary loss of satellites.

Your system should be able to handle changes in direction, but not turning around in a tight circle in a parking lot. Unless you go a hundred feet or so at a reasonable speed, say 5 MPH, your system will not be able to distinguish that you simply turned the car around.

But again, I was really just talking about how it would handle satellites if they were not there for a couple of minutes. :)

6. drum4him

drum4him New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wayne @ May 23 2007, 02:29 PM) [snapback]448494[/snapback]</div>

Well, the deal is off. Took my wife out to see the car. As soon as she sat in it, she said she can't see the hood and the seat is not high enough for her. I can't understand why Toyota puts such a cheap seat in this car. Only 2 adjustments? I know many are making modifications, and there some aftermarket. Plenty of complaints on thie board about the same issue . . . <_<