1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation system aftermarket? (Prius in Hawaii)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by frossie, Aug 17, 2007.

1. frossie

frossie New Member

We are in Hawaii and are interested in purchasing a Touring Prius (package #6). For reasons that no salesman has been able to explain to us, the navigation option is not available. I assume that is because the DVD does not have the Hawaii maps on it - fine, but we may relocate to the mainland one day so we would like to purchase the model with the navigation for future use. All the Toyota dealers claim it is impossible to order a model with the navigation system.

If we do buy the car without the navigation system, would it be possible to retrofit it as an option if we moved to the mainland at a later date? (Such that it used the existing Prius screen).

Alternatively, are there any lower-48 dealers out there that would like to ship us a Prius :)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frossie @ Aug 16 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]497558[/snapback]</div>
    I know an integrated system is nice but may I interest you in a portable system instead? They'll have Hawaii as well as the mainland and they're much cheaper. Granted, you'll have to deal with power cables and suction cups but that's a very easy solution to the nav issue.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi frossie, welcome to PriusChat! The problem you've found is internal Toyota sales logic. Hawaiian Toyota sales organization is not like one of the other US regional sales organizations. I think they buy their cars directly from Toyota in Japan. You probably can't get a Prius with built-in nav there in Hawaii. On the other hand, it's hard to get too lost on most of the islands. You could buy a Prius in California and ship it back to Hawaii if you really want integrated nav, but even the North America nav DVD is at least two years out of date and costs over $300 to replace.

Buy a Prius there. If/when you move to the mainland, sell your Prius there and buy a new one here. They hold value well and you'll get a new car with new bells and whistles... and nav.

And the troll has been reported so no one needs to report it again.

4. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The distributor Servco Toyota has a separate agreement with Toyota and is the only dealer here. The couple of independent dealers on the outer islands still buy their cars from Servco. They do not bring in any vehicles with navigation. This includes all the Lexus which they also distribute. Their rationale was it is not really needed here and hardly anyone asks for it and it's an expensive option. I called the BMW dealer and he told me they will bring in a few BMWs with navigation but usually only special orders. He said if they have a vehicle with nav and the person doesn't want nav they end up making no money on the option in order to sell the car, which kinda makes sense here. Servco prices on the Prius are decent but not the lowest. They do not negotiate so it is what it is. They have a online sales division and I once ran into a salesman for online sales at the parts dept and he said they have the cheapest prices so check online. Also shipping is about $1000 to or from mainland west coast and if you ship a new car to Hawaii you're suppose to pay sales tax now. A couple of years ago it was hit or miss whether you got charged the tax, now I'm pretty sure you will be charged. Also if you are thinking of getting the extended Toyota warranty that's discounted on this site you might have to cover expenses/repairs yourself then get reimbursed through the warranty you purchase. Servco has a warranty which is expensive ($1700) but you do get the full amount ($1700) back at the end if you do not use any of it. You can choose to use it or not. It is prorated from the date of purchase (not after vehicle warranty expires) if you want to cancel if you sell vehicle. I don't think it's transferable but I'm not positive.

5. frossie

frossie New Member

Mahalo Koa. I understand why they dealerships don't have cars with sat nav on their lots, what I don't understand is why they won't even special order one if you put cash down!

I* can read a map just fine, but the hubby likes the idea of the integrated system, what can I do! He doesn't want a 3rd party sat nav. He just fancies the technology, we live on the Big Island so it's not like we are in any danger of getting lost!

I just need to talk him out of fussing about it :)

So how much "paradise tax" do kamaaina pay for their Prius? The Hilo dealer wants $2,500 over MSRP.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Oh boy, at that price, it's less expensive to just buy a car on the mainland and have it shipped. Shipping was posted at about $1000. That way, you get to pay the exorbitant cost for the Toyota Nav. system. ;)

7. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

I recommend picking up a Garmin Nuvi 350 or higher.... way cheaper and has better features. Plus it's portable, so you can take it on a few on-foot adventures in the lovely land of Hawaii

8. frossie

frossie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 17 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]497983[/snapback]</div>
    You know, every time we had to purchase a car I wanted to get it from the mainland as a point of principle. The dealers here have the most ridiculous excuses for the "paradise tax" - when I bought my own car, the dealer told me that the price gouging covered, among other things, "washing the cars because they arrived by sea". An interesting excuse, where it not the Honda dealer I was talking to - I am sorry, and how do Honda cars arrive in the mainland from Japan? Teleportation? The dealers are just leveraging their monopoly.

However, if you need to fly to the mainland to buy a car, by the time you factor in flights, hotels and time, the saving does disappear. Unless you have some way of locating a trustworthy West Coast dealer who is willing to ship you the car, you are stuck with whatever price they quote you locally, especially for a car like the Prius for which there is high demand here.

9. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frossie @ Aug 17 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]497978[/snapback]</div>
    I just called the Toyota dealer by the Honolulu airport, 564-1100 and spoke to a salesman named Miles. He said they are selling the Prius for MSRP or a little less. Absolutely can not order one with navigation. They are getting backlogged again so there might be a wait now. Also the 08 will be in soon. Shipping is around $100 for cars to outer islands I think. Or wait for the Superferry to get going, fly over on one of Go's $1 fares, pick it up and drive on and off to your door.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't get the NAV option when I bout my Prius and now I want it. I put in an order for a Kenwood DNX7100 DVD/NAV/CD/MP3/USB player. Pretty nice unit overall and the NAV works in all of the US and Canada, including Puerto Rico. :)

11. frossie

frossie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Aug 17 2007, 06:11 PM) [snapback]498185[/snapback]</div>
    Koa, you weren't kidding. Our 2008 Prius is now on order with Miles :D Thanks for the awesome tip!

Aloha, Frossie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Aug 18 2007, 05:27 AM) [snapback]498329[/snapback]</div>
    Hi F8L,

How does the unit mount/fit in the Prius?

Aloha, Frossie

12. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frossie @ Aug 17 2007, 12:08 AM) [snapback]497558[/snapback]</div>
    I've posted on Priuschat any number of times re: how dissatisfied I am with the Nav system; if I could do it over again, I'd order it without and just upgrade my dash-mounted GPS. I've posted the why on epinions.

13. frossie

frossie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 18 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]498426[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Scott, excellent review. Guess we won't miss it after all.

14. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frossie @ Aug 18 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]498462[/snapback]</div>

I sent a letter to Denso America (cc'd to Toyota) with inline photos, comparing the Nav system to my old Garmin 2620. Maybe I'll convert it to HTML and post it. I think the graphics make the issues clearer.

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There are also third-party GPS systems (like one by Pioneer) that are built in, so there is some integration. It replaces your radio and has a separate screen which comes out when needed.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frossie @ Aug 18 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]498408[/snapback]</div>

From what I have seen you would have to have a qualified stereo shop custom fabricate an install kit. Best Kits doesn't list one and unless I looked at an old catelog, Metra didn't have one either. It's not a difficult job though and would look very clean if done correctly. Another option is to place a fold-out DVD/NAV/CD player in the small DIN sized location under the stock radio. I have not entertained that idea much but if it was spaced correctly it might work.

I just like the functionality and plethora of useful gadgets on the Kenwood unit.

This is what the unit looks like:
    [​IMG]

and here are the specs. Crutchfield has em for $1,399

Kenwood's DNX7100 navigation receiver packs the double-sized dash opening in your vehicle with movies and music, along with turn-by-turn directions from its onboard navigation system. The DivX-compatible DVD player and 6.95" touchscreen bring your movies to life when you're parked, and a dynamic user interface makes scrolling through menus simple and intuitive when you're on the go.

The internal-memory navigation works faster than systems based on DVDs, so you'll get prompt directions and speedy rerouting when you're forced off course.

Details:

General features:

» in-dash DVD/CD player with internal amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
    » built-in 2GB memory for navigation
    » fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
    » wireless remote

Audio/visual features:

» plays MP3/WMA/AACs on CD or DVD
    » plays DivX format DVDs
    » 6.95" touchscreen with customizable backgrounds

Expandability:

» compatible with Kenwood iPod adapter; Bluetooth adapter; HD Radio tuner; satellite radio; CD changer
    » inputs: USB port; rear camera input; A/V input
    » outputs: front, rear, and sub 2-volt preamp outputs; A/V output

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For a portable unit you might check this unit out. I've played with it in person and it seems very useful. Does NAV, MP3 and Video and is completely portable. So you can watch movies/videos on the plane or camping. It does not work for major hiking treks though as it is mainly designed for road-way NAV.

[​IMG]

Technical Details
    Powerful, portable device combines highly-accurate GPS navigation with robust digital audio and video playback
    Turn-by-turn maps and spoken driving directions in English, French, or Spanish; complete, preloaded maps of the U.S. and Canada
    4-inch widescreen touchscreen display can play video in MPEG-1/4 and WMV9 formats
    Fully-featured MP3 player allows you to search by artist, album, genre, song, or playlist
    Features an intuitive and easy-to-operate, color-coded menu scheme

Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...ractiveda656-20

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Aug 19 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]498737[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting unit!

The thing is.. the 3rd point on that list.. double-DIN. The space below the radio is a single-DIN size...

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 19 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]498774[/snapback]</div>
    Ahh but the stock radio is double DIN from the looks of it. I've had it out before but never measured it. I know my installer can make it fit in my car so I ordered the unit anyway. lol

You can buy similar units that are single DIN and the screen folds out and may fit in the location below the stock radio but the screen would have to be able to extend quite far. I have not measured the Kenwood unit that folds out yet but I may end up doing it soon. It would be very nice for a stealth install because you could close the smoke colored door over the radio and hide it completely. :) The fold-out units usually incorporate a "brain" unit that would have to be installed under the seat whereas the double DIN units are usually 1-piece.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed it would be steathly. Do a search. I recall someone adding one in. (Heck, I believe even a Mac Mini fits in there)