1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation system - audio interupt feature?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by yadax3, Aug 30, 2009.

1. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Navigation system - audio interrupt feature?

Hi fellow Prius Gen III owners,

I sure hope this question hasn't already been addressed under different key words as I'm not really sure of the correct terminology. In any case, my search didn't yield any results so I apologize if it has been addressed already.

When I'm listening to music in my Prius I can't hear the voice commands from my navigation system because there doesn't appear to be an interrupt feature like there is with my portable GPS. I'm wondering if there is an 'audio interrupt' feature and I just don't know how to enable it. :confused:

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Laura

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  3. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for your quick response jay_man. It's too bad Toyota missed this very important feature, which even my $300 portable GPS has. :( It's interesting that the phone does interrupt the audio system but I guess the phone must be a part of the audio system whereas the NAV system isn't, right?

4. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The nav system consists of the GPS, the bluetooth phone integration, various radio receivers (including satellite), CD player/changer, auxiliary input, and amplifier (and probably something I overlooked). They are all integrated so any aspect of these systems and the audio in general is capable of being controlled by the nav system. The lack of an audio interrupt feature for the nav guidance voice was an oversight on the part of the system developers, as were the many other shortcomings of the nav system (documented and discussed in other threads).

5. raidbuck

raidbuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't understand this thread. On my 2010 IV with NAV, when the NAV wants to say something it commandeers the driver's speaker and sends the current audio signal to the passenger's speaker. It also lowers the sound level for the passenger speaker, I think. Isn't that what's happening to you folks?

Rich N.

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a feeling OP either has the radio very loud and/or the Nav audio very low. I keep the Nav audio set at 4. I believe that I play my music plenty loud and can still hear directions. I would not want to have the music interrupted anymore than it already is.