1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation System / Head Unit & iPhone

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PixelRogue, May 8, 2010.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

Very unhappy w/the navigation system of my new Prius IV... years behind even old Garmins or the iPhone apps.

Any way where I can connect my iPhone to the system and use the GPS system through the head unit? I'm even open to exploring replacing the head unit completely, just that the new solution would need to work w/the existing components. Thank you.

2. txav8r

txav8r Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We just traded our GenII for a GenIII Prius. Everyone has complained about the difference in a factory Nav vs a Garmin. I have both and also my iphones. I find they all have pluses and minuses. In short, you can't make an installed nav behave like your garmin or iphone. You can however learn to use the factory setup to the fullest and enjoy that. And no, you will not find a modification that will take advantage of the existing components. You may find several companies in the near future that offer a mod to unblock the Destination entry or Phone keypad while driving. Those were available aftermarket on the Prius up through year 2009 and does not work on the 2010. I am told that CoastalETech is a couple of months away from an mod to unblock those items.

I will say with now just over 3 years experience with the Prius Nav, Garmin, iphones, and another factory NAV in my 2 Mode Silverado Hybrid, I like and use the factory NAV's. Unless I am searching...then I voice google the place on my iphone and voice enter the address on the NAV unit.

Mr. Toyoda...just another person here that can tell you it is more dangerous to try to use methods to make your NAV system work than for you to let us use the functions while moving. Just give us the disclaimer of your responsibility and unblock these things...better yet, deliver the car with them blocked and make it customer preference at their own liability...just like a Garmin or iphone!

3. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Silly in a way where 'some' of the nav features are disabled in motion, while others are not. If the concept is safety, then disable ALL nav features or none... hypocritical to disable only some.