1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation System Help Needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cyclonesurf, Sep 17, 2007.

1. cyclonesurf

cyclonesurf New Member

Hi - I'm having an unusual problem with my 06 Prius Navigation system and was wondering whether anyone had any thoughts.

Whenever I type in a street address as a destination I get a message that says the number i entered is not on the street. this is something that just started happening recently with my nav system - - up until recently, the nav system recognized most of the addresses that I entered - but not now. Now it does not recognize any number that i type in. everything else seems to work fine.

anyone else come across this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean the number used to be recognised or do you mean you started to enter new addresses and this issue popped up?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I assume you are in the correct zone. The NAV system divides the country into zones, and you have to select the correct one for the desired destination. Assuming you are okay there, enter your addresses backward: city, street, and finally number. Leave any N, S, E, or W off of the street, and the NAV system will let you select from a list.

Tom

4. cyclonesurf

cyclonesurf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 17 2007, 12:36 AM) [snapback]513558[/snapback]</div>
    yes - i mean that, in the past, the street address/number used to be recongized. Now, however, it's not recognized by the NAV system. So, for example, when i type in "123" [for the street address]; then "Maple Street" [for the street]; and then "Los Angeles" [for the city] - - the system responds with a "that address in not on that street" message. This happens no matter what address/street/city/ combination that i type in.

any thoughts?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 17 2007, 09:26 AM) [snapback]513668[/snapback]</div>
    I believe that i'm in the correct zone.

I'll give this a try [starting w/ city first, street second, then number last] and see what happens.

thanks for the suggestion. i'll report back with success/failure.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so beforehand, 123 Maple Street, Los Angeles worked? Did you change disc? An address wouldn't just magically disappear off a disc.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the database says the range of "valid" addresses is 100-499, but they built 525 last year, you won't be allowed to enter 525.

You could drive to 525, add it as a destination, then go back there later, but that's it.

My home address isn't in Honda's database either, so when the delivery guy tried to navigate here to drop off my mom's new hybrid, he wandered around when the road name was altered to one actually in the database and he didn't notice.

Lame, but what can you do?...

7. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cyclonesurf @ Sep 17 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]513757[/snapback]</div>
    Hi cyclonesurf,

To clarify Tom's suggestion about 'correct zone', when you press the DEST button you will see the map of US & Canada on the right-hand side of the screen, with the area you are searching highlighted. Make sure this is indeed the zone you are searching for. If it is not, then press the "Change" button just beneath to set the correct zone.

The Nav should only search addresses and POIs within this region, which may explain why 'valid' addresses are not being found.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Sep 17 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]513894[/snapback]</div>
    You can also select the location from the map. For example, pick 499 as the address, then nudge it over a bit. It will get you close. The street numbering system on the NAV is only approximate, even when it has the number.

Tom

9. cyclonesurf

cyclonesurf New Member

Thanks for the help. I didn't have the correct zone selected!

Here's a follow up question - - (i'm sure there's another simple solution - but i can't figure it out).

My Nav system has started to track all of the routes that i've taken. It puts little dots along each street that i've driven on - and i can't figure out how to get it to go away. any thoughts?

thanks!

10. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cyclonesurf @ Sep 26 2007, 09:07 PM) [snapback]518249[/snapback]</div>
    The red dots is a feature called Route Tracing/Record (can't remember what they call it). If you press the Map View button you will see a button to turn it off. When you do, it will ask if you want to keep the dots on the screen.

11. Raider

Raider New Member

When entering street numbers, do not enter a space at the end.

When entering cities with two separate words, enter as you would see it on paper. Enter Los Angeles as LOS space ANGELES.

It only recognizes the literal address.
    It does not know '123 ' should be '123'
    or 'SANDIEGO' is really 'SAN DIEGO'.

I tried explaining this to someone driving around in their Lexus but they wouldn't simply stop the car long enough to enter the correct address. Try giving directions at night over the phone. I think they just blanked out after they were already frustrated and lost, late at night.

And if it's a new address, it probably won't be valid on the current navigation dvd. Too bad Toyota doesn't use a satellite navigation system where it's always updated. Driving North over the new Benicia bridge on I-680 shows you driving through water.

12. cyclonesurf

cyclonesurf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Sep 27 2007, 08:24 AM) [snapback]518425[/snapback]</div>

Sorry to be so dense - but where is the Map View button? is it one of the buttons on the on the panel or is it one of the touch screen buttons?

I have the Map button and the Dest buttons - is it one of these?

Thanks!

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Map View is a touchscreen button next to ROUTE (if you have a route planned)

14. Loaftx

Loaftx New Member

Question on the route tracing. If you trace a route and tell it to rememeber it, will it map through that in the future? Texas is building a lot of toll roads, very few of which are on the map. I use them alot and it would be nice for them to show up. Is it possible to make the Nav learn new roads?

15. shybrid

shybrid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cyclonesurf @ Sep 30 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]519612[/snapback]</div>
    Where is Chas Suitt when we need him? RTFM

16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loaftx @ Nov 3 2007, 10:29 PM) [snapback]534519[/snapback]</div>
    I see nobody answered your question, so I will... :)

The Route Tracing feature is only for the user to manually follow onscreen (i.e. without "Guidance"), it has no bearing at all on how the Nav performs route calculation.

The only way for the Nav system to learn new roads is to buy the expensive DVD update <_< , and even so, it is normally a couple years behind in terms of new roads appearing. This will vary depending on your area...

For what it's worth, Toyota uses NavTeq mapping data, and end users can report errors and new streets for correction in future updates;
    NavTeq Map Reporter