1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation System Override on 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vic334, Jul 12, 2006.

1. vic334

vic334 New Member

Has anyone found how to find the diagnostic screen and override button on the 2006 in order to input destinations while driving? I tried to old procedure for the 04-05 cars and it works like a charm on my friends 2005 but not my 2006. There has to be a way, any help is greatly appreciated.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No software solution has been found yet. There's a speed sensor wire that you can cut and put in a switch. Simply flip the switch to "Off" when entering information. There's another wire for the BT as well. Some have used magnetic switches and others have used a DPDT switch to operate both at the same time.

3. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    When this mod is done, does it only effect the MFD MPG calculation or does it also effect the odometer and trip odometers?

Maybe the better question is, what happens or doesn't work anymore if this mod is done without switches?

Has anyone asked their Toyota dealer if they can actually make a change to allow the GPS and Phone functionality during driving? That would probably be a liability issue for them, BUT, could they tell one of us?

Does anyone know a Toyota tech that may know for the right contribution to their beer or kids college fund??

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither the NAV mod nor the BT mod affect the mpg calculation. The BT mod does cause the wheels to stop turning on the Energy display and the 5 minute graph is messed up during the time the switch is turned on, but there are no other untoward affects.

Toyota won't care. I'm sure they'd discourage you from doing it if you ask them, that prevents them from being liable. If you do it without asking and then crash they're not liable b/c you intentionally circumvented their precautions.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    To elaborate a bit more about the BT mod, turning off the speed sensor makes the car think it's stopped (probably the same with the NAV mod too). If you use the mod for a short while (like 30 seconds), you shouldn't notice anything.

If you're interested you can go to http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_speed_wire.htm to see some pictures of the wires in question. Also, take a look at http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3457 to see how to pop the A/C vent cover off.

As I have a 2005, I didn't have to worry about the NAV wire, but I did do the BT override. I used a push-on push-off button. You can see pictures of that here and here.

6. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thx a lot gentlemen! I'm going to look at doing the mods tonight. Short of being able to make a software selection change, this is just the info I was looking for. Thx again!