1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation System Parts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sarajane, Nov 2, 2006.

1. sarajane

sarajane Junior Member

I purchased the original nav unit override for my 2005 Prius from Coastaltech. Recently I purchased the combo nav override/Bluetooth unit from Coastaltech. It does not plug into the same spot, and naturally I cannot find the factory part I replaced with the earlier purchase. Is it possible to purchase a replacement part from Toyota (and what do I ask for), assuming I should not try to use both override units together?

sarajane

2. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sarajane @ Nov 2 2006, 07:52 AM) [snapback]342536[/snapback]</div>
    I have the original Coastal nav override and I can't recall that any parts were removed when it was installed. It just plugs in between the DVD unit under the drivers seat and one of the connector cables that comes out of it. You should be able to just unpluging it and plug the original connector back into the DVD unit. I have been thinking about this "upgrade" as well. Let us know if the new unit has any significants benefits in operation for Nav functions. I have occasional problems with the original unit not activating correctly if I drive for a while before entering the map function.

3. sarajane

sarajane Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrfaris @ Nov 2 2006, 11:42 AM) [snapback]342569[/snapback]</div>
    You were right, nothing was removed with the earlier override. I found the old instructions and got the nav unit back to its original state. Then I installed the new nav/Bluetooth override. It's working in the sense that it removed the "I agree" screen. However, I won't be driving around until tomorrow, so I will report on how everything works then.

The installation was only slightly more annoying than changing my furnace filters (I have two up in nine foot ceilings). I have a speaker over my nav screen, if you have an older model without that speaker, installation requires some dash disassembly. My installation was made easier with a small mirror so I could see what I was doing.

I've had a problem with the old unit not always overriding the screen lockout if I'm moving when I press the Destination button. (Usually worked, just not sometimes.) I've had the same problem if I tried the manual override. Repeating the manual override fixed the problem, but there was no way to repeat the process with the old unit (except to do the manual process). The new unit looks like it has a way to force a repeat of the steps, so I'm hoping that problem is resovled.

sarajane