1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation System Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by veggieliving, Jun 17, 2011.

1. veggieliving

veggieliving New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Prius which I've adored for 7 years now, but I'm thinking it's time to get a new one. I've been researching for while now and there's one thing about the new Prius model I'm not quite clear on.

When I bought my '04, I really wanted the Bluetooth feature, but you could only get it with the Navigation system feature in a package. I was really annoyed about that at the time, but the navigation system turned into my very favorite feature. So much so that if they didn't have it any more, I'd be looking for something other than a Prius!

What I haven't been able to tell from my research so far is this: Has the navigation system changed much from the 2nd gen Prius? This was my first nav system and I took a cross-country trip and was able to punch in Port Angeles, WA and be directed right from where I was in Oklahoma City! And then I was able to add in four other desinations in a row right behind that. It was magical. :) I didn't realize that not all nav systems could do that. Apparently, many of them only let you select incremental destinations within a region (this was what the Nissan Leaf's system said). And some only allow a single destination at a time, which would be awful. I use the multiple destination feature in Dallas all the time so I don't drive way out of my way because I don't know all the suburbs and which destination would be the most efficient path to take next.

Obviously, I love my nav system just the way it works now. :) Please tell me it hasn't changed.

Oh, and can I still disable the lock on it so it can be updated while driving (by the passenger)?

Thanks so much!

Amy

2. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It has not changed.

As for disabling the lock, i have no idea.

3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    There is a thread on this site that discusses a modification kit for the Nav lock. The kit is expensive (I recall something like $250-$300). I have had good luck with the voice commands for the Nav system and this feature is available while driving.

4. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The thread that I think you are referring to is located here: Prestigious Society and the kit is currently priced at $300 at Prestigious Society

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it has gone through 2 versions since your 2004 (it's on the 6th generation now. Yours would've been the 4th). The screen resolution is much higher than yours as well as the voice lady has a much more human voice. It has Text-To-Speech so it will announce street names. It has a smarter search function so it will recognise "mcdonald's, mcdonald, mcdonalds" for example. There's also bluetooth audio streaming that's bundled with the navigation system so that you can play your bluetooth-enabled music player wirelessly to the car's speakers. XMNavTraffic is also included in the free trial as part of the navigation system.

Otherwise, the other functions are pretty much the same (the speed lockout for example). The audio system will read MP3 CDs now (your 2004 only read Audio-CDs)

6. TonyK51

TonyK51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not being able to operate the GPS while driving is a pain. Especially if one has a passenger who could do the data entry.

But I'm not one to play with the installed safety systems and live with the inconvenience of the system.

7. veggieliving

veggieliving New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, everyone for the information. I have to say, if the ability to enter the Service screen to disable the navigation lockout is gone, I'm going to reconsider getting a new car. When you absolutely love certain features of your car, it's a deal-breaker to lose them. The only reason I'd even trade in my '04 is because I worry that $5,000 battery could die on me.