1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rr79, Feb 16, 2006.

1. rr79

rr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have experience using a Garmin GPS and I am new to the Prius GPS (2006 pkg7). The Garmin has a very useful function which I can't figure out how to do in the Prius. I really hope there's a way and someone can help me with this.

In the Prius, if searching for a destination using POI Category I can perform the search relative to a location other than my present position. So, for example, I can look for restaurants relative to a map location or city that I specify (although NOT apparently a specific address).

But what I want to be able to do is perform a POI name search relative to someplace other than my present position. For example, show me the nearest Home Depots relative to some other location. I don't know what city to look in because I have no idea where they are. But I'd like to display them in relative distance from some location that is meaningful to me and is NOT where I am now.

I have found this to be a very handy search function with the Garmin and I can't find any way to do it in the Prius. Does anyone know if this is possible and, if so, how. I just can't believe they missed this.

Richard

2. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I'm not sure about this, but I believe that you can put the crosshairs on just about any location (by zooming out and then zooming in and then touching the screen to set the crosshairs), and then the car will search as if you were in that location.

3. rr79

rr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you. I hope that works. I'll definitely give it a try.

Garmin allows you to do any kind of search using the result of any kind of search as a reference. It's very handy.

4. rr79

rr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just spent a couple of hours in the garage trying this and every other trick I could think of. It sounded like it had a chance of working - but it didn't. Neither did anything else I could think of to try.

Unless there's some special undocumented trick I'm beginning to think that there is no way to do this. Too bad. It's a very useful feature and would be very easy for them to implement. All they would need to do at the end of a destination search is to have as an additional option the ability to begin another search using the location just selected as a starting point instead of the car's current position. That's what Garmin does and it works very well.