1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

navigation system?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pete bogumill, Jul 3, 2006.

1. pete bogumill

pete bogumill New Member

have never made any big trips in prius so just wondering? i realize when adding an address you want to go to just say in a different state .do you have to change the map area to the state that your going to go on the navigation system before adding the address or how does this exactly work? then as you travel to the place your going you switch the navigation area to the state you are in as you travel?? is this the correct way?? just curious:mellow: s.

2. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pete bogumill @ Jul 3 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]280647[/snapback]</div>
    I've done that once (LA to Denver). You have switch to the destination map to enter the destination. My recollection is that once you initiate the trip, the nav sys keeps you set to the correct zone.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a Garmin Street Pilot. You press "Find," then "Other State", and begin spelling the state until it offers you choices, and you pick one. Then city and then address. Once you have the address you press "Go To." Or you can add it to your favorites list first. You never have to use the map to enter an address.

Based on all the complaints I've read about the built-in NAV, I'm glad I have the Garmin instead.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Hi Pete and hschuck...

I believe hschuck is correct.

On a recent drive from Dallas TX to Hot Springs AR, I was pleased to note that when I crossed the state line at Texarkana, the NAV system continued to display all highways and streets accurately without the necessity of manually changing the "search area" [US5 for Texas and US7 for Arkansas]. I had not entered or searched for a destination address in Arkansas. From Hot Springs, I was able to enter "HOME" as my destination on the return and the NAV system guided me flawlessly. Hmmmm.... I wonder if I didn't want to "search" for a destination but had an accurate address if the NAV system would have permitted me to enter the Hot Springs address without changing the search area.

My "Navigation System Owner's Manual" [page 20 in the 2004 version] reads: "The 'Destination' screen allows you to select the search area for your destination." I would presume from this experience that as you tour the U.S. and Canada, the highways and streets [insofar as they are programmed into the NAV DVD] will show accurately and the only time you need to manually change the search area is if you want to find a destination to enter.

I have been pleased with the accuracy and operation of the NAV system, although the manual is sorely lacking in easy to understand practical operating instructions.

5. pete bogumill

pete bogumill New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hschuck @ Jul 3 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]280658[/snapback]</div>
    thank you for your fast answers. pete