1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAVIGATION Systems - OEM vs. add-on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FloridaWen, Sep 22, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Decent summary of basic info, they recommend aftermarket over factory. At this point I think I'd have to agree. Certainly the BT feature makes the Prius in-vehicle nav a nice feature, but I like the convenience of a seperate screen, downloadable FREE updates, and much lower cost. In the Highlander Hybrid you had to get the NAV to get the center MFD screen...so that sorta pushed our hand that direction.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like the built-in NAV system, mostly because of the integration, and would buy it again. I do agree with Evan that it should be less expensive, have a better user interface, and a more cost effective and easier update process.

Tom

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, I really do like the integration. If the next generation allows for wireless updates and maybe a wide-screen/split screen display so you could show both the NAV map and the Consumption/Energy screens side by side that would be nice too.

5. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would have to disagree. The in-built navi on my civic is by far the best GPS system I have ever used. This is due to the fact that it is integrated into the car, so I dont have to waste time attaching the after-market gps to the windshield or console. Plus its a 7" screen, vs 3.5" for aftermarket gps systems. If you want a bigger screen, expect to pay >$1000 for the aftermarket ones.

I've also noticed that the built-in gps aquires a signal pretty much instantly. While the magellan that I used sometimes takes about 2 minutes to aquire a signal. If you are already on the road, you've pretty much already gone a mile and past the street that you need to turn.

Finally, the gps in the civic is integrated with the radio. Which is very convinient. The gps in the civic was worth every penny.

btw...the gps in the prius is beyond horrible (relatively) and I would recommend an aftermarket gps. Not worth, IMO.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Nark, it all depends on the GPS.

My Nuvi 650 takes approx. 2 sec. to attach to the car and about the same to remove. That also connects power to it, though it does have internal batteries. Cost was $600.

The Nuvi 650 has a 4.3" screen, very bright, auto dimming for night. It can also be easily dimmed using the touch function while driving.

The Nuvi 650 acquires the sats. in about 5-10 sec. (SiRF technology).

The only thing it doesn't do is voice command. It will voice direct you but will not accept voice commands. But I haven't even bothered to enable that function in my car - I think it's just silly and asking for errors.

Oh, and the "I agree" screen goes away automatically after 5 sec. or so, and I can mess with it while moving without asking Toyota's permission. ;)

7. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Sep 22 2007, 03:21 PM) [snapback]516327[/snapback]</div>

right, that was what i was tring to imply. Cant just ignore in-car gps systems as well though. My friend has the nuvi 350 and we had some problems with it when going from MV to SF for a baseball game. Just cause its attached to the car doesnt mean it sucks. Also, just cause its an external gps doesnt mean its good.