1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation unit repair or interchange

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by staver69, Mar 10, 2009.

1. staver69

staver69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Hello group,
    I apologize for posting this in a different thread but I was hoping some of the former gen1 owners that don't look in the "gen1" threads might have an answer for me with there previous knowledge.
    I have an 02 Prius with factory nav. My unit is bad and I am looking to see what units or part #s interchange with mine if any. I have the Denso unit #86841-33060. I have been looking around and havent found anything yet. I called my local dealer(DOH!!) and they told I had to replace with exact same model. I find this hard to believe. If anyone knows of ones that will fit let me know. Also if anyone has luck getting one repaired affordably send me the company name. I have a thread started in the Generation1 forum that has some discussion already. PLease look into that also.

Thanx
    Dave Staver

2. AdamKPL

AdamKPL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I can't answer your question but I would also try calling Denso direct, maybe they can refer you to an authorized repair shop and it could just be a stupid laser or something - 888-668-2900

3. staver69

staver69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I gave them a call even though their website pretty much says DO NOT CALL. They told me that they basically wash their hands of any OEM units and told me to contact my local Toyota dealer. It was worth a shot.

4. staver69

staver69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Hello again,
    My new line of questioning:
    Can I put in a newer unit from a gen4 or 5. I have noticed a few newer units on ebay for about the same $$$. I always like newer if I can do it. The unit I am looking at is # 86841-50090

Thanx again,
    Dave Staver

5. jtrosario

jtrosario Prius Pioneer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For those that might be checking this thread:

My Navigation Unit on my 2002 Prius has failed(aka. Toyota/Lexus Navigation Generation 3). I do own a 2004 Prius with Navigation(aka. Toyota/Lexus Navigation Generation 4).

Last night as part of my troubleshooting, I removed my 2004 Prius Nav Unit and placed it in my 2002 Prius. Everything worked perfectly with all of the newer navigation screens I see on my 2004 Prius. (I then put it back in the '04 and it still works there as well)

Generation 3 Units (2001-2003 Prius) CAN be replaced/upgraded with Generation 4 Units (2004-2005 Prius).

So to answer the OP question, 86841-33060(Gen 3) can be replaced the same, or the one I tested was 86841-50090(Gen 4). I've read elsewhere on that 86841-0E010(Gen 4) also works.

The only thing I had to do under the passenger seat was to remove a small piece of electrical tape to separate the "small black wire connector" away from the two white connectors. The newer Nav units connectors are exactly the same, but that "small black wire connector" is in a different position.

Pics, other model Toyota/Lexus vehicles that have Generation 4 Navs, and even a voice recognition add-on for either Generation are on this fantastic thread on the subject:

http://priuschat.com/forums/generat...-looking-navigation-system-1st-gen-prius.html