1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation voice guidance

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by stanigu, Sep 9, 2016.

1. stanigu

stanigu Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello

Got my Prius recently, and loving it!

One annoyance though, that I can't figure out how to get around: is there a way to shut the lady up with the nav directions when I'm on a call? Terribly annoying to hear her read out the directions while I'm talking to someone.

RCO likes this.
  2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    pause guidance. Either by voice command or pushing commands in "options"

RCO likes this.
  3. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Stanigu,

This is actually a major distracted driving concern and has been submitted to the NHTSA. Feel free to submit your own report. Of course it has been this way with Toyota/Lexus since at least 2013 and hasn't been fixed yet. Toyota apparently is willing to pay the insurance bills for accidents and damages rather than fix a software glitch. Funny thing though my 2006 Nav works great and Bluetooth phone calls override EVERYTHING like they are supposed to.

Happy driving,
    Chris

RCO likes this.
  4. stanigu

stanigu Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks

5. stanigu

stanigu Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It does seem like a major oversight. What made them think the drivers would want the Nav to compete with a phone call in progress?

RCO likes this.
  6. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think its the way they've implemented Bluetooth in general. My podcast audio from my phone also continues when Map Lady talks. Most other cars with Bluetooth mute all audio when a phone call comes in.

7. RCE1

RCE1 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    95% of the time, I keep the voice guidance turned off on all my GPS devices with the exception of Google Maps, if I'm using that app. It makes me crazy, having the voice telling me what to do when I can see what's happening quite clearly on the dash GPS window. I turned it off the first day I had my Prius and never turned it back on.

8. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I tend to agree. The HUD changes the equation.

krmcg likes this.
  9. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Update for those interested.

I actually emailed Toyota Customer Care regarding this and surprisingly received a phone call back from them. I spent about 15 minutes explaining the issue to them and the women who called me back told me they would add it to the list. Apparently they receive the complaint often and are tracking it but don't plan on doing anything about it. I told her that the issue has also been reported to NHTSA as a safety complaint and she didn't care, lol. Was more concerned over Toyota's list than any Government involvement. Can you say back pocket?

Anyway, I would recommend submitting a complaint to both places so the list grows and the software gets corrected sometime soon. Amazing how much nicer my 2006 is than the 2016 in some regards.

Happy driving,
    Chris

10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    On the UK NAV there is a speaker icon on the screen that toggles voice directions off/on.

GreenJuice likes this.
  11. JennieB

JennieB New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd be happy if I could just turn down the volume on voice directions. Anyone have tips?

RCO likes this.
  12. pattom

pattom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Go to page 433 in the main manual - Voice settings/number 1. This will adjust the volume for guidance voice.

PapaNoel likes this.
  13. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Update on NAV Issue,

Well it finally happened. The deliberately built in distracted driving software that Toyota has installed in their new Toyota/Lexus vehicles finally caused an issue. See the attached photo.

Not sure why Toyota decided to actually put in software that CAUSES accidents when the Bluetooth/NAV in my 2006 works PERFECTLY. Nothing repeat absolutely nothing should ever override and talk over phone calls. EVER. PERIOD. End of story.

Thanks Toyota!!!!

Chris

Attached Files: