1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation Voice in Gen III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim Calvert, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 Prius includes the factory installed navigation system.

One complaint I have is voice clarity when navigating via the Prius GPS. It is anything but clear. Sometimes the words are very difficult to understand.

On my portable Garmin GPS, I have the option of choosing from several different voices (male or female) and then choose one that seems clearer to me. As far as I know, this option is not available with the Prius Navigation system. Voice quality with the Garmin is first rate.

Another complaint is the wordiness of comments voiced by the Prius Navigation system. For example, a voice message might say : "one half of a mile to the next intersection". Extra words like "of" and "the" are time consuming and amateurish. A clearer message would say "one half mile to next intersection".

One more complaint reflects the incompleteness of the mapping software. This is when the NAV voice says something like "turn right to" and omits the street name that should follow. This doesn't happen often, but does happen - even with heavily traveled roads that have remained unchanged for decades.

At present the Prius mapping data and the voice software just don't do a very good job. I hope that someone will eventually come up with a way to allow a portable GPS unit to interface with the Prius Display unit and thereby replace the Prius Navigation system - which is pathetic. :(

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had several Lexus/Toyota vehicles with NAV, and the voice has always been similar, but in the Prius she has a more gravelly voice like a smoker.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It must be a Gen III thing. The voice is perfectly clear in my '09.

4. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like the voice of the lady who gives directions -- but the one who pronounces the road names is awful. It's kind of jarring because the nice voice will say "turn right on.." and that nasty voice comes in with "Fullerton Road" which may or may not be very clear. However, I find it pretty clear for the most part and I also find the bluetooth phone connection to be MUCH clearer than the Garmin. My Garmin Nuvi gives a lot more options in terms of voice.

5. buzzard767

buzzard767 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

1 person likes this.
  6. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The digitally recorded lady's voice is generally quite clear, but some words are not enunciated well. For example, I have trouble hearing her "next right" ... I hear something more like "ex-right" which my brain thinks sounds more like "left-right".

The text-to-speech is quite poorly done, with too-quickly generated sylables run together so that it is difficult to understand the street names unless you already know what the name is. It is not difficult to do the TTS much better than is done here.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought she's one of the best, most natural voices from Toyota (not counting the computer voice for street names). The TTS voice tends to speed through the name of the road as garygid said.

Gen 6 nav: After the beep, please say a command such as "Go Home", "Destination", "Phone", "Audio", or "Command List"

Gen 5 nav <in computerised voice>: Please say a command after beep.

9. mccats

mccats New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Traded a 2007 Camry and she sounded a little younger back then. Don't have a problem with her other than once in a while the street names aren't that clear. Overall all am used to the system and love it.

10. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    she's fine in my car. And if you miss a command, just press the Map/Voice button.

11. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It certainly doesn't compare with the Garmin Nuvi voices. They always sound natural and are easy to understand, even if the pronunciations are a bit off at times (Wes Ed Monster Drive instead of West Edmonston or Seventeenth Saint Northwest instead of Seventeenth Street Northwest).:p

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How do you suppose it would do with our Native American names? I live on the corner of Nagonaba and Shabwasung, just a block up from Wakazoo.

Tom

13. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The funny part is they would probably come out clearer than we would expect! :)

14. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Up who's Wazoo? :p

15. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model: