1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation:Why Won't It Route On Side Streets?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Aaron, May 1, 2008.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After switching from my beloved hand-held Garmin 60CSX GPS to the factory installed Toyota (DENSO) Nav system, I've noticed one big difference.

When I set a destination on a side street I'm getting the voice prompt telling me to "proceed to the highlighted route" AND "there are parts of this where route guidence can not be provided".....WHAT THE HECK?!

I've also noticed that the streets where "route guidence can not be provided" are colored in yelow/brownish color.

QUESTION: Why? Why can't this Nav system do what my Garmin does...Navigate from ANYWHERE?

2. RichL

RichL New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do the "route guidence can not be provided" streets show up at all on the map??

3. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, they do. I've encountered this mainly in rural areas. My guess is that to save space, they don't provide routing metadata on all possible roads.

4. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I encountered a similar problem, at least with the 2007 update (to my 2005).

When I did some research, I recall finding posts indicating that the Prius built-in navigation refuses to use streets with any "incomplete information", while most other navigation systems are happy to do so. (Sorry that I don't have references handy, it was a few months ago that I was looking into it.)

I've been lucky that it has only failed me where I know enough of the geography to get by. It might be worth spending a few extra minutes double-checking when it gives you goofy route suggestions, though. :)

5. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It gives me goofy route suggestions all the time. LOTS of incomplete data!

6. rep308

rep308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The built in Denso unit is frankly not that good. A Garmin Nuvi is far more accurate and easier to use. I've done a lot of side by side comparisons with the Prius nav system on and my Garmin at the same time. The built in unit is nice to look at, but the Garmin is a better unit

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kinda makes me glad I have a TomTom GPS.

8. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Each GPS company does things a little different, some have newer maps, some have better voice instructions, etc... etc.. It really seems to be an individual preference in all honesty.

I just installed a Kenwood DNX5120 in my Toyota Tacoma and it uses the latest Garmin GPS. I have driven it for a few weeks now and in all honesty prefer my base GPS in my Prius. Although it doesn't have as new of maps or announce street names like the Garmin there are some things it does better ... like interstates.

The split screen on Interstates that list the distance to next exit is excellent for any business user such as myself. Anyway that is just my $0.02

Ohhh, the Kenwood does kick A** in once aspect. It BY FAR and AWAY has THE BEST iPod interface I have ever seen. It completely blows DICE, Vais, Aux cable and anything else you can think of out of the water.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I live in a rural area and drive on "county roads" quite often and the Prius Nav is horrible in this enviroment.

Question:

Will / Can future versions of the Nav discs have "more information" on them so routing can be done on rural roads?

10. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "data is incomplete" and "route guidance cannot be provided" issues happen quite often on rural backroads with me too. The roads are there, but it wont generate route guidance using them. And it makes no appearant sense.
    Un-acceptable, considering a wonderful little Garmin is soooooo superior......... but I've gone on about the inferior nature of the Prius navigation system many times already.