1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by YorkieSue, Sep 5, 2006.

1. YorkieSue

YorkieSue New Member

I am struggling mightily with the biggest disappointment in my new Prius purchase life. No matter how many times I read the manual on navigation I do not understand how to use the GPS. It has no memory, does not let you access familiar places when the info has already been inputted many times before, is a nightmare screen to try and UNCONVOLUTE...I HATE THIS PRIUS GPS and am sick to my stomach that I allowed myself to be swayed to buy it. From now on I will bring my USER FRIENDLY and portable Garmin devise from my RV with me. What a waste of thousands of dollars to have this 'pink elephant' in my car. Does anyone KNOW how to use this awful 'perk' in the prius? Thanks. YorkieSue

2. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My wife and I use the GPS all the time. She uses it more than I, but we don't have any problems storing addresses, marking "favorite" locations, recalling previously entered places, using Voice to enter destinations. Sure, I haven't figured out how to "record a route", yet, but I will find it. To start with, s your GPS finding the Satellite?

Have you set your HOME yet?

3. dopeysjon

dopeysjon New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YorkieSue @ Sep 5 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]314633[/snapback]</div>

:( I struggled with my '05 for a long time, but finally I think I have it working as well as it ever will. It is very convoluted, and a great disappointment to me, too. I heve it functional, but its use is very awkward. Also, its database is waaaaaay out of date, at least two or three years. I haven't gotten a quote, but I understand that updated DVD of database costs almost as much as your Garmin unit.
    The only reason I have it on my vehicle is because it was preinstalled on the car I wanted. I thought it would be neat.
    Its primary redeeming feature is its automatic rerouting when I get off the established route. Yes, it works, but it is far from the neat gadget I envisioned.

Jon

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YorkieSue @ Sep 5 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]314633[/snapback]</div>

Lets see if i can help you out a little...

"It has no memory"
    - There is a mode that allows you to track a route (people say it looks like dropping bread crumbs behind you as you move)... i've never wanted/needed to use it, so i can't tell you off hand how to access it.

"does not let you access familiar places when the info has already been inputted many times before"
    - There is a "memory" function to remember addresses. If the car is located somewhere you want to remember (ie you're driving along, see a restaurant, stop, and like it, decided to remember where it is) you can hit the "mark" icon from the bottom of the map screen to store the location. Otherwise, if you hit the menu button on the top right (plastic, not part of the screen), there's a menu with a list of options, including one that, i believe, says locations (if not, it has a blue flag on it). select that, and it'll put you into your remembered locations menu, where you can add, edit, and delete remembered locations. you can also put names for these locations, such as "Home", "Work", "Chipotle", "Mom's House", etc. You can recall them by going to the destination button (to the right of the screen) and selecting the big blue flag. Additionally, some of these can be selected as "hot spots" and linked at the bottom of the destination screen. There is also a "previous" section in the destination screen where you can recall recent destinations.

Needless to say, it'll take a little getting used to, as the UI is different than other GPS units out there. Remember, when you're accessing any of these screens, if you don't see something you want, look at the top right area, it might say something like "1/2" in a button, allowing you to scroll to a second page of menu items. Also, when inputting addresses, do it "backwards"... put in the city, then street, then number. it helps to narrow down the search area as you go, making things quicker.

5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YorkieSue @ Sep 5 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]314633[/snapback]</div>
    I guess you need to read some more.

There are memory locations. Click on the Menu button, and one of the onscreen buttons is for the memory points. Use this for your favorite locations. To choose one as a destination on the Destination screen, simply press the memory button. To add some random map position, such as your current position, to the memory points, simply press the Mark button on the map screen.

There is a destination screen button for bringing up the list of recently entered destinations. I think it's on the second Destination screen. (Did you know there are two Destination screens? There's a little "1 / 2" and an arrow button on the top of the Destination screen. Press it and you'll get more destination entry options, including I believe, the recent entered destinations option).

6. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've never used another GPS device, so I didn't have any expectations coming into it. I read the manual to know where things are, and I've had no trouble storing addresses, setting destinations, or marking current position.

I can see where the UI is confusing though, and it still takes me a couple tries to get to things like inputting a POI name. I love the voice control though and I rarely use the UI now when I'm traveling as I already set most of my important "memory" spots already.

In spite of that, I like it, and the only thing I really wish it had was elevation marks.

7. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YorkieSue @ Sep 5 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]314633[/snapback]</div>

We also have an Acura MDX (2003) and the GPS system on it is very intuitive and quite easy to use. I have Magellan 700 which is not as easy to use as the Acura but still gets me to where I want to go (use this in my 2002 Thunderbird). The'05 GPS in my wife's Prius is by far the most difficult to understand and use. I'm not as unhappy as you appear to be but I think Toyota could do a much better job designing their GPS system.

8. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Sep 5 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]314659[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. The Prius Nav is the only one I have used and my experience pretty much mirrors Ichabod's.

9. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Does the nav system really use GPS? I thought it just uses a compass and a map from a DVD to track where you're going.

10. NineToez

NineToez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 5 2006, 11:02 AM) [snapback]314672[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, GPS along with speed sensors coupled with map data from the map DVD can pinpoint your location and estimate travel data like distance and MPG.

11. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dopeysjon @ Sep 5 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]314648[/snapback]</div>
    This was my experience too. The European version is evidently as bad as the USA with the added deficiency that some countries have large areas which are not covered at all. The best coverage seems to be the UK and Germany but I haven't used it at all in the north or west of the UK, or in Germany, so I don't know if the detail is any good.
    But it's the user interface that is so terrible. The best one can say is that when it works, it's adequate and it is quite good at putting you back on a suitable route if you take the wrong turning or if there's some temporary obstruction.

12. Aviator

Aviator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YorkieSue @ Sep 5 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]314633[/snapback]</div>

Someone in an earlier thread provided this link to the Lexus Navigation system instructional video. It's the same system in your Prius and you might find this helpful.

http://www.lexus.com/assets/navigation_sys.../Lexus_nav.html

13. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 5 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]314672[/snapback]</div>
    It has to have a GPS. A map and a compass can only tell you which way to head if you already know exactly where you are.

Maybe someone at your dealership can help you learn your GPS, or a local priuschatter? It's not the best that I have ever used, but it works for me and I am happy to have it. My saleman programmed the GPS with my home address and the addresses of all the local toyota dealerships. He was also quick to say that I might have to read the manual a few times to get the most out of it. There was a time that I was frustrated because I thought that you couldn't enter an intersection (Main St. and First Ave), but then I realized that there was a second page of options for setting your destination.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NineToez @ Sep 5 2006, 12:24 PM) [snapback]314684[/snapback]</div>
    Not only that, but there's a diagnostic menu that you can go to that will show you which satellites the car is picking up.

15. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have both Honda's and Toyota's GPS systems in my garage. Honda (so is Acura's) system has more intuitive user interface, but not as many features as Toyota's system has (such as detour routes to choose from). The Honda system is also slower in calculating routes, but it does not require customer to set HOME!!!!I am comparing my 2001 Odyssey vs 2005 Prius GPS system, which does not seem like a fair comparison. Once in a while, Toyota/Honda will send you invitation to update DVD for less than $200.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have the 2006 Prius NAV system and three Garmin GPS systems. I use the Prius system exclusively when driving our Prius, and haven't had any real problems. Mostly you need to rid yourself of preconceived notions about how this NAV system should work and stop fighting the user interface. You can't change it, so you have to work with it. It's not bad at all. I find it gets me where I need to go, with good voice prompts and quick route calculations. My main complaint is the lockout when the vehicle is moving, and that is strickly a liability issue.

Tom

17. NovaScott

NovaScott New Member

:blink:
    I have an 06 with NAV and I too get frustrated. I don't find the user interface too miserable to use, but I absolutely hate the fact I can't operate NAV when I drive. I fly airplanes in crowded airspace and fly combat missions so I know how to manage my situational awareness, keeping it on the windscreen when it is needed and into the cockpit when it is appropriate. The fact my car won't let me manage the NAV system while in motion REALLY PISSES ME OFF! It is the only thing I'd change on my Prius. Thank you Toyota!!!!

Scott

18. Aviator

Aviator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NovaScott @ Sep 5 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]314884[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NovaScott @ Sep 5 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]314884[/snapback]</div>
    Having also flown in crowded airspace (ORD-TET-PHL-ATL-DFW-etc.) in bizjets, I too feel that I can manage my situational awareness and would like to have access to all the screens in the NAV mode while in motion. However, when I am flying, by and large those I share the airspace with are also highly trained and rated to do the same thing. On the other hand, on the ground I share road space with a great many people that should never be distracted from the responsibilities of simply driving their cars whether it's with cell phones, kids yelling, or NAV systems. Have you considered installing a Lockpick for your NAV system?

Mike

Having also flown in crowded airspace (ORD-TET-PHL-ATL-DFW-etc.) in bizjets, I too feel that I can manage my situational awareness and would like to have access to all the screens in the NAV mode while in motion. However, when I am flying, by and large those I share the airspace with are also highly trained and rated to do the same thing. On the other hand, on the ground I share road space with a great many people that should never be distracted from the responsibilities of simply driving their cars whether it's with cell phones, kids yelling, or NAV systems. Have you considered installing a Lockpick for your NAV system?

Mike

19. bradysplace

bradysplace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aviator @ Sep 5 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]314940[/snapback]</div>
    This seems to be revolving around how us pilots can walk and chew gum at the same time. As with our flying - we train for the weakest link. Toyota is just trying to limit their exposure. Most of us can walk and chew gum at the same time - but every now and then.......................... If you are familiar with a number of different nav. systems, the toyota product appears to be less intuitive at first. The nomenclature is different than garmin, Honda etc. Much the same as the FMC nomenclature between a boeing and a douglas is different - but with time and practice and having someone who knows the system - it all falls into place. I find the toyota nav system capable of more "cocktail hour" stuff (routes with multiple dest. etc.) which under the proper circumstances are very beneficial. Back to the origional post - have someone who knows the system well sit down with you - read the manual and touch the box - read more and touch the box. It will come together for you. By the way fella's there is a way to trick the system into letting you access the entire program when you are underway. A computor guy at my lexus store showed me how. Each time you start the car you have to go through the ritual - but its worth it.

20. InfideNino

InfideNino New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bradysplace @ Sep 6 2006, 10:08 AM) [snapback]315059[/snapback]</div>
    Would you mind sharing this trick with the rest of us? Any idea if it will work on the European model?