1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NC or WV?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by priora, Jun 6, 2009.

1. priora

priora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I'm ready to buy a 2010 Prius, would I be better off buying at a dealership where I live in North Carolina or buying at a dealership in West Virginia then driving back after visiting family? I realize that these are 2 different regions (Southeast vs. Central Atlantic)

Any thoughts?

2. tom28422

tom28422 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well I can't say what they are doing in the Central Region but here in NC, the Southeast Region has many cars which come thru with a Port added option called ToyoGuard which is $699.00.

This GOUGE includes the first oil change, undercoating, paint protector, interior protection application, VIN # etched in the glass, roadside assistance program, and a loaner car for all warranty repairs.

Personally I think this is a rip off. Some may not

3. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

If you purchase in WV you won't have the SET add on's. You should currently be able to find one at MSRP readily available. I have not checked in the southern part of the state but I know that the dealers in Morgantown, Fairmont and Buckhannon have available ones on the lot.

4. BH1973

BH1973 Junior Member

I live in NC as well as there are plenty of Priuses available here. I think you can get one without paying an annoying doc fee. No need to drive to WV (that's where I bought my 2004). Tell them you'll go elsewhere if they don't knock off the doc fee. Try Easely Toyota in South Carolina - salesman there just said he'd wave the doc fee for me.

5. youdontsay

youdontsay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I was getting quotes from dealers, I was told by the Internet sales manager at Hubert Vester in Wilson, N.C., that all dealers were either adding Toyoguard (which I agree is a complete ripoff) or "MSRP addendums" to cars until supply met demand.

Of course I knew he was lying, having already found cars at other dealerships that did not have Toyoguard or "MSRP addendums" on them. I called him on it and ended up buying from Leith Toyota in Raleigh. That dealership added nothing to the car, which was exactly what I wanted. The doc fee was $399 though, and they didn't budge on that.

6. jestoy7

jestoy7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Youdontsay: That has been exactly my experience.

I've had a hard time dealing with SET, so my recommendation is to buy in Central Region if possible. The Toyoguard is a RIP! And after looking all over North/Central/West Florida and South Georgia I finally found a dealership that did not add this on (after talking to about 8 dealerships) and I'm buying the car from them. :rockon:

7. aapoppa

aapoppa formerly known as "Popoff"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought my '05 in Virginia (immediate delivery) when they were hard to get and Toyoguard was just about standard in the SE.

I just bought my Gen III from stock in western NC. No Toyoguard or other junk fees, a small price break off MSRP, and dealer deducted $299 doc fee from price of car but, for their policy, showed it on invoice as doc fee. If my math is right, that means doc fee was waived.

8. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Local small town dealer here in NC has 5 sitting on the lot (one of which has been sitting out front for over 3 weeks). It seems like supply is quickly catching up with demand - not very surprising in this market.

9. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you tell me the name of the dealer?

10. HeyVern

HeyVern New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you mention which small town and/or dealer name? Thanks!

11. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gastonia.

1 person likes this.
  12. NCKevin

NCKevin New Member

Model:
    III
    Fred Anderson has about a dozen brand new III's without navigation on the lot today. All different colors.

They're in Raleigh on Glenwood.

1 person likes this.
  13. KGK07Prius

KGK07Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to change the subject here but I'm wondering if there is a Prius Car Club in Raleigh or if there is enough interest on here to start one?

Thanks!

14. Carolina Dave

Carolina Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any other good dealers near Charlotte, NC or Boone? I may have to make trip to Gastonia.

15. HeyVern

HeyVern New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm in Hickory but have family in Raleigh so if you get anything going let me know.
    :)

16. HeyVern

HeyVern New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I visited Jim Barkley Toyota in Ashville this weekend. They were packed with customers because of the CARS program but it was still the most plesant experience I have every had at a car dealership in years. No comissioned salesmen and very low key. Even let you test drive the car off the lot without a salesman in the car. No dealer fees, no Toyoguard add on, and $300 off the MSRP to boot. I would have bought on the spot if they had the model and color I was looking for.

1 person likes this.
  17. KGK07Prius

KGK07Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HeyVern,

Still working on getting a club started!

18. HeyVern

HeyVern New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good! It’s downright embarrassing seeing all these clubs in other states and nothing in North Carolina.

19. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey. I was there too. Maybe we saw each other. Were you and your wife looking at a black Prius by any chance? I loved the low pressure experience. The salesman got me the out-the-door price very quickly and acted as if it wasn't the end of the world if we didn't buy the car. :)

Unfortuneately, they didn't have the car I wanted either. I would drive back when they get it, but a local dealer (near Gastonia) is within $150 of their price and throwing in free floor mats. I figure $150 just isn't worth my time and gas money.

20. HeyVern

HeyVern New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the wife and I took a quick look at the black one before two ladies took it for a test drive so we went inside and asked to drive the white one. I have a deposit with them and they are looking for a III or IV Barcalona Red Metalic with Sun roof for me. I've been warned it may take awhile to find that combination.