1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Mar 17, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the first round, I had 27 correct. I just watched Ohio State keep me in it.

Last year I won the office brackets. This year I employed the same technique: watch no games during the regular season, pay no attention to the "experts" and go with gut feel. So far so good.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a bracket just for my own fun, no pools or anything.
    22 correct in the first round, Only miss that hurt me was Villanova....apparently I was smoking something and I picked them to win 3 games including a second round win over Kansas?! Stoopid. The other losses were minor gambles that I only had picked for one win. All my final 4 picks are still in and all but one in the final 8.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 17 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]407530[/snapback]</div>
    26 here. Good enough for second place in the office pool.

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've only missed 6 games so far. Although I haven't checked the scores today since the end of the OSU win. That one would have hurt.

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

So far (half way through round 2), I have 35 of 40 games right.

I applied a similar technique mentioned here. Skip the regular season, watch no predictions, just pick based on the sound of the name as I spent 3 minutes to fill out the bracket.

I have Ohio losing the championship. They almost sank my whole boat yesterday if not for their little miracle at the end.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so I pay attention, listen to the pundits, consider myself a fan of the college game...and am getting my nice person handed to me. Just dropped one of my final 4 picks today....

My point is you guys suck....but dang I LOVE March Madness!

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i didn't get into the office pool this year, unfortunately, just watching with interest. i know my team isn't going far.

wasn't that last-minute ohio tie up a killer? i was amazed! second that, i LOVE march madness :D

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm currently tied for third in the office brackets.

First Round: 27 / 32
    Second: 12 / 16

Total Points: 51

My final four is still intact. I noticed that I am the only one in the office with my final four. That might be the deciding factor.

10. daronspicher

How you guys doing with your brackets?

Right now, I'm in 232nd place in the CNNSI bracket challenge, 45 of the 52 games correct so far.

It's my best ever showing so I'm pretty excited about that, and as soon as one of my teams takes a dive (maybe tonight), then I zip back into 7800th place never to recover.

I put my bracket snapshots here

Anyone else having a banner year with this?

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    29/32 first round
    11/16 second round
    and 4/4 so far in the third round

I'm doing mine through ESPN with a bunch of friends from school - everyone gets 5 brackets for free. The above is from the bracket i have hanging on my cube wall. I also currently hold 4 of the top 5 positions in the pool.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have tried several words to describe my bracket, but they're all banned by PC.....
    I've still got 3 of 4 of my final 4 teams, and 6 of 8 great 8, but it's not looking good at all. I really blew it picking KS to be upset in the 2nd round. Other 'misses' were small individually, but too many to make a strong bracket.

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Pitt was my differentiator. Since so few people picked them, they were going to win me enough points to practically guarantee a victory in the brackets.

Well, poop.
    I'm done.

14. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 23 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]411001[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: Me too.

15. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As of this morning, seven of my eight picks for the regional finals games are still in the running, as are all of my final four picks.

Unfortunately, with 43 correct selections thus far, I am in fourth place, two picks and three points behind the leader (the seed numbers were added as bonus in scoring the first round). Comparing my choices of the winners of the rest of the games with ones of those who are ahead and just behind me in the standings, I can finish no higher than second place. Oh, well.

16. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Current standing:

29/32 first round
    12/16 second round
    7/8 third round
    4/4 fourth round

Currently ranked 1st, and everyone within range of me has Ohio State beating Florida by 5 (i'm 75-70, 2nd place is 76-71, third is 65-60) for the final, so i'm pretty much locked in for my winnings :)

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    NCAA Tournament? Is that basketball? :lol:

Tom

18. daronspicher

UCLA winning was that sound of my glass bracket hitting the floor. Georgetown winning was the sound of a guy named Thompson grinding my shattered glass into a fine powder. :D

Maybe Florida and Ohio meet in the final to recover a bit of my losses..

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got 3/4, had picked Wisconsin to have a big streak getting into the final 4 but then losing.

I've got the other 3 w/ UCLA winning the championship. rest of the bracket looks like hell though.

20. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I miscalculated the value of correctly picking all four regional finalists. That was good enough to move me into first place with a total of 47 correct selections.

I have Ohio State and Florida in the championship game with Ohio State winning it all. So do the second to fourth place holders, so they cannot overtake me. The two who are tied for fifth place must be correct and I must be wrong in all the remaining picks in order for either one of them to take the lead. However, I have one choice in common with each one of them. The seventh place holder has been mathematically eliminated.

The third place holder has just congratulated me on winning the pool.

To make things better, a win by my alma matter, UCLA, will not affect my chances of winning the pool.