1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ND 11 OIL - Where to buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SWprius08, Apr 12, 2011.

1. SWprius08

SWprius08 SoCalprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to replace the condensor of my 2008 Prius changed as a rock broke the lines of condenser. I am going to have a local guy replace the condenser and let him charge the system rather than having it done at the dealership. I need to buy ND-11 Oil but cannot find it anywhere. I live in Los Angeles area, I asked couple of Toyota delears, one of them did not know anything about it, another one said they buy it from Autozone. I called Autozone and they have never heard of it either. Does anyone know where I could buy it from in this area?

2. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

3. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Harbor Freight? Hal

Ben Schneider likes this.
  5. SWprius08

SWprius08 SoCalprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it is not that easy to find ... huh!!

6. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Car Quest has it. Hybrid AC oil
    CCM CQ16136
    $37.99

7. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  8. SWprius08

SWprius08 SoCalprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bought the oil from Car Quest 2 years ago. No problems to report.

Ben Schneider likes this.
  10. b15sentra

b15sentra New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I found this thread through a Google search. Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but there is some info I'd like to share. First off I'm a certified hybrid tech working for a Toyota dealer in the valley. Every Toyota dealer should know about ND-11 oil. I'm assuming the parts guy you spoke to was just inexperienced. The Toyota part number for this stuff is 08885-09127. It is extremely important that Toyota ND-11 oil or equivalent is used in all electric compressors. If something else is used the car will throw a code and damage will be done to the compressor. It is a real costly pain in the butt to fix a hybrid that has been cross contaminated with say ND-8. We even have a separate A/C machine at my dealer dedicated for hybrids only to prevent this. Ive never used anything but genuine Toyota oil so I can't vouch for any alternatives. The price of this oil is around $150 from the dealer. I have a few extra bottles of this stuff unopened in the original box for sale. I will sell them for $100 shipped to you. Please PM me with any questions or if your interested in purchasing some. Thank you

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just curious, have you or anyone in your shop ever had to do make such a repair? Is it even possible to fix with a flush, or does it mean replacing basically all components?

12. b15sentra

b15sentra New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally have not had to fix a car in this condition. But I have seen it once a long time ago. Back when the second gen Prius first came out. Alot of dealers would let techs make repairs on these without having any formal training on them (Toyota has gotten alot stricter since). But anyways the tech replaced a condenser for a customer and added a few ounces of nd8, not knowing. He test drove it had a/c working good then shipped it out. The car came back a couple days latter with the lights on. It took everyone a while to figure out what was even wrong with the car, getting FTS involved and everything. Finally the tech figured out the oil was wrong. The fix was, if I can remember correctly was that he flush out all the lines. Removed and completely flushed out the condenser, evaporator and expansion valve. Replaced the filter. The compressor was Warrantied out for a new one, because it would be hard to completely get all the oil out of it and taking those things apart is generally not a good idea. Put it all back together, new oil and recharged. The rest is history, and needless to say that tech had a really bad week and wont be making that mistake again lol

13. efchase

efchase Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Are you still of the view that only a compressor change will fix this, instead of a flush?

14. efchase

efchase Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Does the ND-8 cause permanent damage to the motor insulation or will it recover once removed and replaced with ND-11?

15. Ben Schneider

Ben Schneider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  16. Ben Schneider

Ben Schneider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four