1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Near Center Speedometer....Again?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Rest, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What is up with yet another near centered speedometer in the Prius?

1 person likes this.
  2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What? There a 2 speedos in Prius now?

Speedo in my Prius is almost right in front of me and as I recall it is the same in the Gen III.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Pat I think he was referring to the V dash. (this is the v forum)

[​IMG]

4. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh poo, scratch that but what about the term "another"? I know Yaris has a centre speedo but not the Prius I have seen and driven so is this a first?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Pat this is the Gen I dash

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I first noticed this test-sitting in an Echo. Toyota's accomodation of both left and right hand drive vehicles I guess. Thumbs down from me: even with the 3rd gen prius' slight tilt towards the driver's side, it does require diversion of attention.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It has been a trend in automotive design. It's supposed to be easier to see, since the steering wheel isn't in the way. I'm not sure I like it.

Tom

8. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Jimbo, I forgot about the Gen I.
    I have been in one a long time ago, from memory the steering wheel was on the other side.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When people get in my car for the first time the first thing that they notice is the instrument panel and ask if it bothers me. I tell them no that I actually like it once I got used to it.

I like the fact that I can adjust the steering wheel any way that I like without interfering with the instrument panel.

10. Zhe Wiz

Zhe Wiz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, yes, I like that too. Especially after sitting in my Subaru and dealing with the fact that when the wheel and seat are where I want them, the top of the gauge cluster is completely blocked. BUT they don't need to move the speedometer to the middle of the car to achieve that benefit. Moving it up under the windshield such as in my 2008 solves the problem, but keeps the speedometer (mostly) in front of the driver.

I've never driven a car with a centered speedo, but it doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

Zhe Wiz

11. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had an 03 Prius, and liked where the speedometer was. I never owned a genII, but rented them. I didnt really care for the location of speedometer.

I also owned an 07 Yaris, and an 05 xB. I also liked the center speedometer in those. I don't think it is any more dangerous or distracting to put it in the middle. I think it is just personal preference.

12. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Back in 1999 Toyota managed to implement the perfect center mounted gauges. That was in the Yaris, which back then had not only digital gauges, but used an illusion to make the speedometer appear as if residing inside the engine.

Unfortunately the vast majority of motor "journalists" called it a mere cost saving solution, claiming it was done to save money when changing the car from right to left hand drive markets (think of Sudbury to get an idea of how hard it is to change such a misconception).

In reality, the center-illusion-digital speedometer in the first gen. Yaris is probably the best and easiest to read speedometer I have ever used.

Experimental technology FTW.

13. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not liking center dash at all.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The center dash returned in 2009 and some of you seem surprised or are still lamenting to find it in a new model of Prius.

15. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hate the center speedometer as well - I think it is just so dorky looking. I agree that it is likely that it is done in part to make things easier for manufacturing both right and left hand drive cars. The one exception is the Mini with the huge spedo/tach in the middle of the dash - I think it looks very cool, but the rest of the gauges and displays are above the wheel so it does not really count.

16. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In 20 years, we'll all look back and think about how stupid it was to have to look through the steering wheel in most cars to see the gauges.

Makes far more sense to have it where it is. Love it. Then again, I'm tall, and have never driven a car (besides the Prius) where I was able to properly see the gauges.

Glad Toyota "gets it"!

-Iain

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As I mentioned in another thread, I too dislike the speedo in the center. It only makes sense if the driver is sitting there too. Now, if there was a HUD w/the speedo in front of the driver, that'd be nice. But, some people don't like HUDs.
    Agreed w/Zhe Whiz. On my 350Z and the Infiniti G35, the instrument cluster tilts with the steering wheel.
    I honestly think it is, "journalist" or not. Think of how much less needs to be rerouted and mirrored w/a center IP. Think about the need for fewer unique parts for LHD vs. RHD vehicles.

18. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks
    Never saw Gen 1 dash
    Started importing to Israel (and Europe I believe) GEN 2.

19. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Gen 2 and 3 also have near center speedometers as well. Although not as centered as with the Gen 1, but still near the center of the dash. While I am now used to it, I still don't like it. I prefer all the information close to me, like in the cockpit of an aircraft.

20. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ditto to all you've captured in your post. I agree 100%. I'd also like to add that because of the central cluster, the Nav screen has been forced into an undesireable position further taking our eyes away from where they should be-ME NO LIKE!