1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Near Miss and strange thought

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tickwood, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Last Friday morning I was driving at about 50 mph on a two-lane road when a white truck suddenly pulled out from a side road on my right and decided to make a left turn across my path.

In the split seconds I had to brake and swerve while watching the truck get closer the thought that was in my head was, “I guess I will be getting that 2008 Touring Edition after all.â€

My maneuvers worked and I missed the truck. I ended up stopped in the gore point, the truck kept going and I still have my 2004.

2. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You're a true optimist!! Instead of seeing your previous life flash before your eyes, you saw your future life!

3. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I battle DC Beltway traffic every day. Some of the acts of buffoonery I see on the road never cease to amaze me.

Today I watched an idiot who had been weaving from lane to lane to get 60' ahead of everyone else, rapidly change from the left lane to the center lane with his left turn signal on. He almost hit the guy going from the right lane to the center lane with the correct turn signal on.

I see it all the time. :eek:

Glad you didn't get in an accident. :)

4. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    It's TEGWAR. The Exciting Game Without Any Rules.

Perhaps Tickwood should celebrate his good fortune by buying something special...like maybe a 2008 Touring edition.

5. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am not sure why, but the Prius seems to be a "bad driver" magnet. I have come close several times. It seems that people just don't see me. I decided to up my chances of being seen/heard by changing the stock horns out with PIAA Sport Horns. They sure get other driver's attention.

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a lot more near misses driving my (dark blue) Malibu, than I have ever had in my (super white) Prius.

Visibility is the key. That and being aware that some of the people out there are just DORKS.

7. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This morning I saw the cleanup going on of an accident type I'd never seen before. It looked like a motorcycle broadsided a sedan... on the Interstate! It's amazing the creative ways people find to get into accidents. The guy formerly on the motorcycle was worse off for wear, I saw two gurneys... I hate to ponder what that could mean!

8. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never heard of the term "gore point" before, I figured you must be British or Australian, maybe even Canadian, so I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it describes it as the triangular bit of road in between merge lanes, and says it is "chiefly American English". Huh. Wonder what I've been speaking here in the midwest?

9. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've lived in the US all my 58 year life, and only recently started hearing the term "gore point" used. So it's not just you. It is a very descriptive term, though.