1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

nearly complete on mods

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lohikaarme, Aug 12, 2023.

1. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I know the side molding isnt for everyone, as mentioned in another thread the parking spaces here seem to all be undersized so it is more a matter of necessity. The rain deflectors are TRD, I bought them for $200 shipped directly from Japan. Not pictured are the door sill protectors and cat shield. Nearly complete, I am doing the spare tire mod (way under cost, probably wont break $250 + tire again direct buy from Japan), the TRD spoiler (also direct buy from Japan), and the UFO disable mod. A fumoto valve will go in for the first oil change and then the car will be 100% done.

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

wrtboy168, petez and daisy555 like this.
  2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    When you do the spare tire mod, will you please share what you're using and exactly where you're getting it from? I'd love another option that's OEM(or near-OEM) quality for less money.

3. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Ok so here is the gamble, however, I used this with past prius gens AND they delivered with the deflectors too. There is a company that is in Japan, you pop in the part numbers, you pay them (I pay them paypal BUT convert to pay in jyp not let paypal do the conversion). They get it delivered to them, then they calculate the shipping to you and you pay the shipping. Sometimes they come back and say they need more money. You dont really know how much shipping will be until they get it. As the car is paid off I dont care about the gamble but other might so that is the one catch.

The company is called Impex Japan, its a russian company operating in Japan. IMPEX JAPAN — online new genuine spare parts shop
    Here is the real order I have pending for the spare tire: $180 USD! I need to buy the tire itself, I will get that locally. Also the one thing that is still unavailable across the board is the AWD bracket but if I can secure the majority of the parts, I can worry about that later. I carried over my old tools from the previous prius so there was no need to buy that stuff.

upload_2023-8-12_19-41-45.png

otatrant likes this.
  4. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The key is that with the inflation and the tightening on the USD right now, the exchange rate to yen is really good. So if you can find a Japanese company that sells at JAPANESE PRICES in Japanese currency, you will get a really good deal. Look how the exchange rate tanked in the last year. This is not a bad thing for USD, it is bad for the Yen. The Yen use to be equal to ~1 penny, back in 2021 if something was 10,000JPY it would cost $100USD. With the exchange rate now, the same 10,000JPY only costs $69USD. That is why in the above order the JPY prices are so much higher than the USD prices.

upload_2023-8-12_20-8-31.png

5. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Looks sharp! I'm curious about the TRD spoiler and how that will look. Please post a pic when installed.

6. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Jesus, those are buying off the back of a truck prices compared to US MSRPs. Please let us know what the shipping prices end up being.

I tried to put together the side mirror upgrade parts through their website, but most weren't in their system. I don't know if my part numbers are wrong or if they're just not available yet even in Japan. But several of the other minor upgrades I'm looking at were in the system at nice discounts(pending shipping costs).

otatrant likes this.
  7. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    ok if the part number is not in their system, all hope is not lost, select quote and submit it for quoting. They will add the part to their system and let you know if they can get it. I tried with the bracket but while they added the part number, it is still not available. They DO charge you vat even in the us but its just a few dollars. The trd rain deflectors turned out to be $175 and shipping turned out to be $28. I got it in 3 days with fedex. Will let you know on this order, i suspect it will be more as it will be quite a few boxes and heavy. I could have probably not bought the wheel to save some money. I do not know what happens if you try to cancel or return an order, but its a paypal buy so i am sure there is some protection.

ps its currently the oban holiday in japan so they are closed for like a week. Its in their announcements and calendar so might be delayed in quoting but it took like a day to get a reply from them when they were open.

8. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    *** make an account and log in and you will see an quote option

9. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Thanks. I'll put in a quote request in a few days, but it looks like they just went on Oban holiday break for a week; basically until the 21st.

10. Pixelfenix

Pixelfenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks for this website! I'm thinking about getting a few Modellista parts (mostly illumination and chrome garnish for my incoming black model) and I think this will save me a ton of money versus ebay.

I wonder how easy/hard it will be to install this on my own, guess I'll find out.

[​IMG]

11. Gwyd

Gwyd Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    That red illumination would match my idea of having a K.I.T.T. style illumination on the front of my black one - if anyone sees a mod like that please let me know!

12. Pixelfenix

Pixelfenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Well the part I added a screenshot to above is : MSE61-47001
    It's a Modellista official Toyota part and is available at most JDM importers

It is like 350 USD before import which is absolutely ridiculous for a tiny led strip but it's an official part and is meant for enthusiast so yeah

13. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I doubt there'll be anything specific for a Prius, but there are cheap kits($15-$35) on Amazon/eBay that you could install yourself. Double-sided tape to hold it on, then a little bit of wiring. Controlled through a wireless remote.

http://www.amazon.com/Scanning-Knight-Remote-Control-Signal/dp/B00HD7SQWC/
    http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-LED-Lighting-Interior-Decoration/dp/B008BVUCS0/
    www.ebay.com/itm/364258655891

I believe all three of those links are the same product(bought from the same factory in China with different names slapped on them by the repackager).

14. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e

Update
    The deck floor left
    The deck floor right
    The screwdown carrier bolt
    The wheel

all being shipped out, total price for shipping $60

the protector and the 3 nuts are still being worked and not shipping yet.
    The protector bracket i was not able to order yet

so total $200 so far not including the actual tire, the protector lining, the 3 nuts or the bracket.

15. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The protector bracket is only specced for the US market. Different regulations? Probably why they're having a hard time with it.

I didn't realize the bracket wasn't on the Japan parts diagram until just the other day.

If you end up getting everything and only end up paying less than $100 on shipping, then I'll be placing a pretty big order shortly after. I've currently got 18 pieces in my shopping cart valued at over $900. Spare tire conversion, side mirror upgrades, and some OEM interior lighting upgrades.

16. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Also keep in mind, this $60 is to ship 8.8 kgs. I am sure the wheel is heavy as hell. The foam deck would be big but not heavy. I am expecting the protector lining that is expected to be available 8/30 and the nuts wont be much in shipping

17. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I got the wheel domestically, so I don't have to worry about that. Almost everything on my list is small and light, but I was most worried about the deck floor boxes because they're so bulky. The heaviest parts will be the side mirror retractors with the motors inside them. Those and the jack tool kit.

18. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    They got me on the shipping. It came back they needed an extra $150 so $210 total.
    I think two things got me, first it is broken into two shipments instead of one:
    45cmx45cmx18xm 8.1kg (probably the wheel)
    86cmx54cmx36cm 3.6kg (probably the inserts + screwdown)

secondly, because I wont be over here in washington state to receive them when they arrive, I changed the shipto to my new york address WHILE submitting the $60 payment, as in the $60 was tagged to the WA address when they sent it to me.

19. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    So I am up to $343 paid, + needing a tire + $43.78 remaining parts + ? shipping on those parts where those parts are just the 3 nuts and the protector padding

20. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Everything now in stock. Remaining parts for spare was $20 to ship bringing total to $406.78 + tire i will buy locally (missing that us market bracket and tools only)

the trd spoiler also shipped costing $21 in shipping.

the rain deflectors got to me in 3 business days with fedex. As a result i am shipping everything to ny as i will be there for a little over 1.5 weeks. I will evaluate shipping aaaaall the way to seattle to install or leaving in ny as i am moving back in january. Nevertheless when i get everything i will take pictures and post.