1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nearly drove my one day old Prius into a wall

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by senectus, Mar 2, 2005.

1. senectus

senectus New Member

I was tired yesterday arvo and hopped into the Prius and put into what I thought was reverse (across and down like most manual transmissions) boy did I act quickly when the car went the wrong way!

Luckily my reflexes are still quick.. and I managed to stop then sit and think about why that happened..

Basically I know its essentially an Auto.. but the physical configuration makes me "think" manual.. so it's an automatic reaction to move the stick across and down thinking that I'm putting it in reverse...

:oops: :cussing:
    Must be more careful

2. xevious

xevious New Member

There's currently a debate on whether this behavior should be considered a natural reflex or a sign of early dementia:

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6909

For what it's worth, I've done this on several occasions. You're absolutely right that you shift down from park in a conventional automatic transmission - relearning to shift up from park to reverse took a few months.

3. senectus

senectus New Member

I don't so much attribute it to the "automatic" state of mind but more to the "manual" tranmission configuration..
    Every Austo I've ever been in is a "T" bar auto.. so the different drive stated are all in a line..

manuals work the same way the Prius does.. except it's all arse about :-P

It won't take long for me to adjust.. I just hope that I don't break it first :oops:

4. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Don't worry you won't break your new toy. I think the scare you put into yourself will see to that :).

I also admited in the other thread to having done the same thing on a couple of occasions. I mean I want to keep my car close, but parking it in my bedroom might just be a bit much.

While you are getting used to your new car it might be helpful to make visual and audible checks before you take your foot off the brake. I actually look at my hand then check the dash display to make sure that the car is really in R before I start trying to back out. Also, as the car is pretty quiet when reversing a cautious approach is in order.

I also drove a 5 speed just prior to getting my car and still sometimes find myself wanting to shift after a stop. Old habits do die hard.

Good luck,

Tisza

5. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xevious\";p=\"68854)</div>
    I've shifted the wrong way once. In over a year of having the car. I think Toyota made the right decision to design it the way they did.

Dave

6. ross33

ross33 New Member

I' ve done it twice so far and attribute it to excessive boating.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: I am more likely to do a single-windshield-wipe when trying to shift to reverse. :roll: SIGH

8. rflagg

rflagg Member

I guess this is why Toyota put in the reverse beep, and one reason why I won't disable it, in case I think I'm in one 'gear' and am not.

-m.

9. dvd

dvd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yup, this is me. Our other vehicle is an automatic with the shifter on the column. About 10% of the time, when I go for reverse, I end up with a super-clean winshield! :) Same for coming out of reverse and into drive!

10. senectus

senectus New Member

I keep trying to indicate with he cruise control.. :-P

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I must have been really overtired without really feeling it. I came out of Taco Bell, and I couldn't remember how to put the lights on. Kept thinking they were on the right stick but remembered that was the wipers.

I think I already had them on, either because of Auto Off, or I instinctively turned them on just before I started the car.

Decided to try and get extra rest for the next couple of days.