1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nebraska Gay Marriage Ban Reinstated...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

LINCOLN, Nebraska (AP) -- Supporters of banning gay marriage won two major court rulings Friday, with a federal appeals court reinstating Nebraska's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage and the Tennessee Supreme Court ruling that voters should have a say on the issue.

Last week, the highest courts in two others states also dealt gay rights advocates setbacks. The New York court rejected a bid by same-sex couples to win marriage rights, and the Georgia court reinstated a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage there.

In the Nebraska case, U.S. District Judge Joseph Bataillon had ruled that the ban was too broad and deprived gays and lesbians of participation in the political process, among other things.

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals disagreed, saying in its ruling Friday that the amendment "and other laws limiting the state-recognized institution of marriage to heterosexual couples are rationally related to legitimate state interests and therefore do not violate the Constitution of the United States."

Seventy percent of Nebraska voters approved the ban in 2000.

Attorney General Jon Bruning had argued earlier for the ban should to be restored, saying it didn't violate anyone's freedom of expression or association.

Opponents of the ban "are free to gather, express themselves, lobby, and generally participate in the political process however they see fit," Bruning said. "Plaintiffs are free to petition state senators to place a constitutional amendment on the ballot. Plaintiffs are similarly free to begin an initiative process to place a constitutional amendment on the ballot, just as supporters ... did."

The lawsuit challenging the ban was filed by New York-based Lambda and the ACLU's Lesbian and Gay Project. Officials there could not immediately be reached for comment.

The Nebraska amendment went farther than similar bans in many states in that it also barred same-sex couples from many legal protections afforded heterosexual couples. For example the partners of gays and lesbians who work for the state are not entitled to share their health insurance and other benefits.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Curious... does this ban them from adopting kids?

3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I don't want you non-Chicagoland people to be jealous... but... I have to brag...

We have the Gay Games in Chicagoland... Starting today....

Yep, I bet ya'll are real jealous...

Gotta go puke, back in a bit...

Hope this is their one time in Chicagoland... maybe SanFran should keep this as their big event of the year every year.

4. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 15 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]286995[/snapback]</div>

Why does an athletic competition make you want to puke? Are you against sports?

FYI, a good friend of mine is competing in some events this year... hope he does well.

I've been to Chicago myself for several gay-themed events. The Gay Games isn't the only large-scale gay event in Chicago, in fact there are many, and they have been around for decades. You must sure do a lot of puking... maybe you should see a doctor about that.

- Bob R.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Gay Games. :huh:
    Didn't they initially try to call it the Gay Olympics?

I wonder, if they didn't lose the lawsuit and were allowed to keep the Olympics name, how long would it have taken for them to demand equal news and television coverage, and then claim homophobia when it didn't happen?

For some reason I think the lesbians who participate will be a comparatively higher caliber athlete. Now, if only I could get the image of Revenge of the Nerds and javelins out of my head. :blink:

6. Mystery Squid

:rolleyes:

In this respect, the concept of "Gay Olympics" is idiotic at best, and is ironic given how homosexuals strive for equality. There really shouldn't be a "Gay Olympics" per se, concepts like that only serves to divide and classify our gay friends. Then again, if the gay community wants to have Gay olympics so be it.

If the mentally ill can have their special olympics, I don't see why the homosexuals can't have the gay olympics should they choose...

:D

7. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 16 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]287396[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder if they could do a corporate merger... Combine the special olympics and the gay games, reduce the organizational overhead, streamline the event planning..

Can you imagine how confused the special olympians would be at the end of the week?

I too thought it was hypocritical to have 'gay games' when the entire agenda seeminly is 'inclusion' and 'sameness'. Shouldn't gay people just try to win spots on the US olympic team and not make their choice of sexual preference a part of the discussion?

We don't seem to get the Hispanic Games or any other category of people who try every day to include themselves in society.

Anybody got any ideas how well it would work if you tried to organize a "White Heterosexual Male Games"?

"That would be a disaster of epic proportions. Calls of racism and discrimination would be in every publication in the world..."

Are you then saying that the gays are getting special treatment from the media and government?

"Yes.."

I agree...

8. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I have to wonder if they'd ban an open heterosexual from playing.

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jul 18 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]288211[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those RACISTS!!!!

:lol:

All kidding aside, there are plenty of stories out there of reverse discrimination. One that comes to mind has something to do with a heterosexual bartender applying for a bartending position at a gay bar, and being turned down for the job because he wasn't down wit da G's.... :ph34r:

10. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jul 18 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]288211[/snapback]</div>
    You wouldn't have to wonder if you learned how to use Google.

http://www.gaygameschicago.org/welcome/home.php

"The Gay Games are open to anyone. There are no qualifying events, no minimum or maximum requirements, and no mandatory affiliations. The Games are built on the founding principles of Participation, Inclusion, and Personal Best, and promote a supportive environment, free from bigotry, where participants achieve success by their own measure. More than a tournament or cultural program, the Gay Games is a gathering of the international sports and arts community that changes lives, attitudes, and the very nature of competition."

Also, newspaper articles on the subject report that at least 5% of gay games participants are heterosexual.

The whole point is to create an open, nondiscriminatory environment where gay people who have been shut out of other professional and amateur sports (traditionally) can compete and have a good time and not have to worry about discrimination. (Figure skating, gymnastics, and women's golf and tennis notwithstanding. :) )

- Bob R.