1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Necessary to replace shocks?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by macmaster05, Jul 25, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A friend of mine told me that shocks typically last 80-100k miles. I've never had a car that I needed to replace shocks on, and I haven't heard of Prius owners needing to replace their shocks from standard use. My question is, is this really true? Will my Prius need shock replacement down the line? I don't drive hard or anything...

Now, I am strongly considering lowering my Prius with Eibach lowering springs. I've also heard lowering springs can make your shocks wear faster. So, even with lowering springs, is it still likely I'll need a shock replacement for my Prius?

I would be more weary of going ahead to order these springs and install them if it requires extra maintenance in the future....

Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say that the Prius struts and shocks are due for replacement at 60K mile intervals if you care about keeping the car in top condition. I know that few owners will do this due to the cost involved if you must rely on Toyota dealer service (as much as $2K.) I've posted within this forum on how to DIY service, and if you do a search you may find several other owners who have posted their stories.

Prius owners seem to be unusually motivated by mpg impact. I can't say that bad struts/shocks will lead to reduced mpg so that may be another reason that owners are willing to live with bad struts and shocks.

Also, those parts are mechanical and "analog" by their nature, so the reduction in their effectiveness happens over time. It's not as if one day you'll detect a big change in their behavior.

Regarding use of shorter springs and the impact on the struts and shocks, I suppose that will depend upon whether the suspension tends to hit the limits more or not with the shorter springs and consequent shorter range of travel. If so, then there will probably be greater wear on the suspension parts.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

80-90K on struts is about right. Maybe even less. Mine at 30K are leaking oil pretty good already. Have seen alot of people talk about lowering the car and I can't see a big benefit from it myself as:

A---The car is already pretty low. I'm already nicking many many entrances to driveways etc...aren't you?
    B---From a looks standpoint its alot of bread for little bang.
    C---From a performance standpoint its silly and dangerous to drive
    harder into corners than this car was designed for unless you spend a fortune on suspension upfront. Lowering the car will give you alot of false confidence that you have a performance car. Not even close. Plus its not a fast car anyway so why bother.
    D---If your already sweating any maintenance on the car don't start throwing money at the front end. Thats a bottomless performance pit there. You'll be able to whip around corners but so what it will still be a slow car. And will ride poorly.
    E---Economy is shot..money is tight...why piss it away?

JMO...since you asked.

Jerry Mcl likes this.
  4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Patrick. I guess I never knew, and I'm not much of a DIY guy. I suppose the shocks/struts is something they check every 5000 miles? It's just I've never had someone tell me, you need your shocks/struts replaced.

Ed, I agree with every single one of your points against the lowering. They have been running through my head. I thought the same thing before I got my window tints, but that's certainly grown on me too.

Still, part of me feels that since the car handles like an egg more than any other car, a 1" drop wouldn't hurt to improve performance. Theoretically it can even improve mileage... For these reasons, I feel the lowering mod is 'functional' at least, a clean look, and beats the use of a body kit.

FYI, the cost will probably be about $350. (I found a shop that does this for $150 + $200 for the springs). I dont know, whaddya think?

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh here's an important question for you guys:

Are the shocks/struts covered under Toyota's extended warranty?

If they are covered, and I replaced the stock springs with lower springs, would they deny the warranty claim?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably at 30K mile intervals, the tech will look for oil seepage. However, although the presence of substantial oil indicates a failure, the lack of oil does not guarantee the part is good.

Yes, I understand that the shocks/struts are covered under the extended warranty. It is certainly possible that a non-standard suspension would cause denial of your claim that those parts should be replaced under that warranty.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I think our car is a poor performance platform. One look under the front end will tell you that. I've seen go karts at the county fair with more stout suspension. And its still not fast after you do hop up the suspension. And there's nothing you can do to make it fast.

But it does what its supposed to do quite well. Very low maint. cost and low impact on the enviroment while it moves you from point A to Point B as safely as as boringly as it can.

I can see you have the performance bug which means your a young dude.

Enjoy man. But you got the wrong car.

Buy another car. Nissan...Mazda...Corvette....

For instance my buddies stock 2006 3.5 Maxima is a race car compared to my 07 Prius. Its really fast and quick and handles really nice. He drives like a maniac and it can handle it.

And he paid like $ 17.5 last year for it.

Hundreds of cars out there that can thrill you without spending a dime on aftermarket shite.

Save your dough dude. Your attempting to change the strict design of this car.Tint and new tires is about as deep as I would go.
    Oh and maybe seat covers......;)

8. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    um don't bother replacing shocks/struts. Only replace them if they start failing on you or start leaking oil. Sure there's no harm in replacing them, but why waste the money? its like a transmission flush. There are basically no cars out there where in the owners manual it says you have to service your transmission fluid under normal driving conditions.

my dad's 2004 prius has about 150k miles. never replaced brakes, shocks, or anything. and still drives great.

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You got one thing right for sure, I am young (23 y/o). Most people don't expect me to be behind a Prius. But I love the Prius, and all the love and hate that comes with it. Overall, I like to think I'm a safe driver and I don't drive hard or fast like most kids my age. I didn't even when I had an old '89 2-door Legend. I don't have a performance bug but I'm all for making the Prius my own.

The fact that Toyota could deny a warranty claim if/when my shocks wear out is what's holding me back now.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The concern about warranty issues on a lowered suspension are valid. A lowered car bottoms out more easily so can legitimately be assumed to be rougher on several other suspension components.

Shock absorbers aren't normally covered except for leaks. I read through my Platinum extended plan and shock absorbers weren't mentioned as covered or excluded. If they wear out in a reasonable amount of time I would expect them to be declared normal wear and tear and not covered.

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I guess the question to ask now is, can lowered suspension lead to oil leaks in the shocks?

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It could be a minor contributor and a major excuse to deny a shock claim

I think the probability of it leading to aleak are small and the probablility of a leak claim being denied are reasonably small. It's not like you are risking the warranty on your engine or transmission, go for it if that's what you want.

I personally think that lowering a car is primarily a styling statement and know it often makes handling worse unless it is done as part of a comprehensive well engineered package. However, as long as you don't try to lower my car, I'm on your side .:rockon:

Prius handling is under rated. It feels strange and the steering feel is kinda dead, but with 0.8g skid pad numbers, a good driver can cover ground quickly on a twisty road. You need to be smooth and set it up for corners sooner than you would a sports car because it transitions slower, but that's part of the fun.

13. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, I think it would be awesome to get my Prius properly corner balanced and set up with a 3-way adjustable suspension kit (i.e. a Moton kit).

Second, the steering feel and ride changed a lot when I switched from LRR stock tires to a set of performance rubber. However, there was a MPG hit to be taken, so pick your poison.