1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need 05 vs. 06 Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lee, Nov 19, 2005.

1. lee

lee New Member

I currently have an order in for an '06 with Navigation for January delivery. I finally made it to the dealer today to choose colors, and get a trade-in estimate for my car.

The first part of the equation is that the dealer will give me $12K for my trade-in on an '06, but $13K for my trade-in on a similarly equipped '05 (assuming they can locate one). So, for this part, buying now would save $1,000. Also, the sticker price is lower for '05 models, so factor in another $500.

I reran TurboTax 2004 factoring in an additional $2000 deduction and it saved me $700 on my bottom line.

Then I tried to enter the tax credit (assuming $3100). If it acts like a Form 8834 Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit, it save me nothing because I paid AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax), and my "tentative minimum tax" was higher than my tax from the tables, so the credit is zeroed out. My AMT was based mostly on the high NY income and property taxes, which aren't going to change, nor is my income going up that much.

So, the bottom line is a savings of $2200 to buy an '05 before Dec. 31st vs. getting a newer car (less depreciation) with a few more bells and whistles (camera, iPod jack) on Jan 1st.

What would you do if you were in my position? I need to decide "right away" so any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's hard to say, since I already have my 05. I'd probably buy whichever car I wanted. Noone here can make the choice for you as we don't know enough factors. Financial situation..etc. If you really wanted the features of the 06, but the extra savings would make a huge impact in your life, then I'd get the 05. If the extra money makes little difference, then I might go with the 06.

3. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You've got all the facts lined up... it pretty much comes down to _your_ decision.

How much is the depreciation worth to you -- do you plan to sell/trade your car in a few short years? How much would it cost to add an aftermarket auxilliary input and camera to an '05? How much is having those features from the factory worth to you?

If it all comes out to less than 2200, you might save a little cash and get your enjoyment sooner if you get an '05.

Personally, I'd question why the value of your trade-in varies based on the model year of car you're *buying.* That sounds fishy; either it's worth $12K to them or it's worth $13K -- no "ifs" about it.

4. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might double check with an accountant to see exactly what the net impact of the tax credit will be in your situation. Running 2004 TurboTax and assuming the effect is similar to Form 8834 may not lead to a correct assumption.

That said, for most people the differences between a 2005 and a 2006 are not significant. If you haven't done so already, go through the 2006 threads to see what the differences are and if they are important to you.

All things equal, a later model year will have higher resale value, but if you keep the car for a few years, any difference will not be significant.

John

5. lee

lee New Member

I usually keep cars for a long time, so the depreciation isn't a big factor. The camera and iPod jack are nice, but I wouldn't spend the price difference between the '05 and '06 to get them. There are several reasons why my trade-in is worth more to them now than in late January. First, the mileage is lower now than it will be then, second the car will be one year older because the year will be 2006 instead of 2005, third the car may be more marketable now before winter kicks in to high gear here in the snow belt. Also, it might just be their way of giving me a $1000 discount on an '05 without calling it that.

The trade-in is subtracted out before sales tax is added, so selling it back to the dealer vs. selling it privately is worth an extra 8% here, which helps compensate for the somehat lower price you get. What is hard to quantify, but cannot be ignored, is the reduced "hassle" of driving one car to the dealer and driving away in the new car instead of marketing and selling the old one. That's definitely worth something.

I can afford the extra $2200 for the '06, no problem, but I don't like to throw money away unnecessarily. In other words, I like to optimize things, and it looks more and more to me that the '05 would be a significant optimization with little downside.

6. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just bought the 05. I thought about waiting for the 06 but didn't seem that much upside. They are basically the same vehicle and the list for the 06 is probably very long already.

7. lee

lee New Member

I just did the calculation a little more carefully, taking into account the increase not only in the base price of a 2006, but also in the price of the NL package vs. the BC package and the slightly higher destination charge. MSRP for 2005 is 21,275 + 5,065 (BC) + 540 (destination) = 26,880. For 2006, the numbers are 21,725 + 580 + 5,730 = 28,035, for a difference of $1155. Adding in the $1000 bigger trade in, $172 less tax because of the lower sticker and higher trade-in, and $700 tax deduction savings (since I get zero benefit from the tax credit), I would save $3027, which is more than 10%.

By not getting the '06 I lose the improved DVD navigation system, smarter airbags, MP3/WMA playback and Aux Input capability, tire pressure monitoring, a backup camera, some styling improvements, and lower initial depreciation.

By getting the '05 I gain cassette playback capability (allowing a cheap cassette adapter to be used for reasonable iPod connectivity) and roadside assistance.

It just doesn't seem like what I gain by getting (and waiting for) an '06 is worth three thousand dollars. That much money would easily pay for a set of four Blizzak snow tires and wheels ($640 delivered from TireRack), the 7 year / 100,000 mile extended warranty ($990), prepaid service for 4 years ($670), and leave plenty of money left over ($700) -- more than enough for an XM radio kit with 6 months of service ($300) and the ViewTech aux input kit ($300). I guess I'm going to go for the '05!

Thanks to everyone who replied for your help!

Lee

8. cowboy

cowboy New Member

lee - My accountant said that a tax credit comes off the top of your tax bill, and is usually figured out before AMT is figured. He didn't think this law had an exception to that rule.
    I am waiting for an 06. I like the leather and the upgraded nav, and am willing to pay a bit more to get those, while the ipod jack and camera are nice too, but if those were the only changes, i wouldn't be waiting.

9. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

in YOUR situation, i'd get a 2005 tideland, package 4. in a second. you aren't planning on selling it, and you are saving 3k. if you honestly don't care about the added accessories then you've got yourself in a fairly good situation.

If, on the other hand, we're wrong about AMT pretty much all the way through, then you've got a more difficult decision. pending further information, try to get a 2005. you may find the decision has already been made for you.

10. lee

lee New Member

You might need a new accountant. Every single thing I've read about the tax credit says that people who pay AMT will not be eligible for it. I can tell you for sure that the Qualified Electric Vehicle Tax credit, for which you use IRS Form 8834, works exactly that way. In fact, most tax credits do not lower tax liability below the AMT level with a few exceptions such as the Child Care tax credit.

11. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

What's AMT?

12. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I disagree. If you run the numbers of some '04 vs. '03 vs.'02 Priuses from Kelley Blue Book, other things being equal, the difference in model years WILL be---close to that $2500 range. On the other hand, since it's not a big model year change, a not-so-astute private buyer, especially if the Prius market is still inflated, may be willing to overpay (depending on the car's shape/mileage).

And the dealer is OBVIOUSLY giving you a $1000 discount on the '05. And that's nothing to sneeze at. It's really the key to your overall calculation.

You have (to me) a very 50-50 decision, if other data is correct. Then, for me, it would come down to color---and whether I'd feel any buyer's remorse when I saw all those chromed grille pieces when I passed '06s. :unsure:

13. lee

lee New Member

14. lee

lee New Member

I wonder if that will still hold 7 to 8 years from now when I'm likely to be looking for a replacement?

Color isn't a big factor for me. There are many that I would be happy to drive: Seaside, Tideland, Driftwood, Silver, and Red. I saw the new color Silver Pine Mica on a minivan and I almost gagged. I would love to see Magnetic Gray, but it won't be available any time soon. One cool thing about the 06 models is that you can order a Seaside Pearl with a grey interior, which you can't get in an '05.

As far as the chrome grill pieces are concerned, I'm sure that you can order them.

I do like the wheels in the 06 a lot more than the 05.

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If by wheels you mean rims on the US version, they are the same for 05 and o6 (and same as 04). The pics in the press release photos jsut didnt have the trim rings on them. Take off the trim rings from any 05 04 and you have the rims from the 06' press release photos.

16. lee

lee New Member

That's awesome. Thanks!

17. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Based on these two statements:
    Take a look at http://priuschat.com/2006_toyota_prius.html and there are many other places to research also.... there is belief the NAV screen will be higher quality too...

I tend to feel if you were going to keep it a short time.. get the 2005 and then upgrade when your ready to the latest and greatest.... that may be a nice option to consider?.. Just sell your 2005 "before" the end of the whatever year... the demand drops dramatically once the new ones are close or out.

But if "like you say" you will keep it a long time... the added amenities and quality will be enjoyed over the years and you may regret not getting what you really really wanted.. irregardless if the price wasn't as sweet.

Since the tax credit is not an option... ignore it exists and realize thats its normal for later model cars to cost a bit more than the previous year.

If you know yourself and you dont' think you will always regret it and the added amenites are no big deal to you, then.. 2005... And if its all about money... the best deals are usually right before the new ones come out?

Me myself.. I try to get what I really want.. even if it stings..... I never ever look back and wish I would have gotten the lesser later! Especially if its something I will keep for a long long time.. like a gun, watch, etc...
    But thats just me...... :unsure:

18. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

So does that mean that the 06 will or will not have the rings?

19. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As the other post indicated, if we are talking about several years ahead, at that point I don't think there will be much difference in resale value between the 05 and 06.

As far as those chromed grille pieces, as someone said you can probably order them - I generally don't think the cosmetic changes are necessarily improvements, just changes. Plus good options for aftermarket leather - bottom line in my opinion the changes are not significant.

20. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The 06 WILL HAVE the trim rings just like the 04 and 05.

It has been discussed already many times, certain port installed things like the rim trim rings, the plastic under the right and rear of the rear bumper, antenna etc were not put on in the press release photos but THEY WILL be on the 06 when you pick it up at the dealer.