1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need 17" tires for my 2016 Prius V, would like to reduce road noise

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by wowbobwow, Nov 30, 2020.

1. wowbobwow

wowbobwow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I've got a 2016 Prius V "Touring" (aka Package Five) and I love it - easily the best car I've ever owned. It currently has a mixed set of tires installed by CarMax when I bought it:

Rear:
    Miranda “Sport GT2” 215/50R17 91W M+S

Front:
    Toyo “Proxes A20” P215/50R17 90W

All are fairly worn now (esp. the Toyos on the front) and I'm ready to buy a replacement set of 4 matching 17" tires, but I'd like to find a set that has a good mix of safety/reliability and might help reduce road noise somewhat. A large portion of my usual driving in this care is at freeway speeds, and the road noise is borderline deafening with the current tires. I know that Priuses have minimal sound-deadening material to cut weight, etc., so there's only so much the tires can do, but still - anything will help.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Huxley

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Minimal sound deadening means none in a Prius. I would go Michelin.

vvillovv likes this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The 215/50R17 A20s would have been OEM (were on our 2012 v FIve), were very noisy and terrible in the rain. We replaced those with Continental PureContact 225/50R17 98V and have been very pleased with the wet and dry handling, noise, ride, and had no adverse impact on MPG, even when new.

jzchen likes this.
  4. Cinco

Cinco New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2013 V. I layered sound deadening material in the back 50% of the vehicle and doing so reduced the noise. Tires do help and mine suck bad (Cooper). I just can’t put the money in that right now but when I do all 4 will be Michelin.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Followed Air_Boss, (thank you again), and got Kumho Solus TA71 in 225/50WR17. Been very happy 33 PSI front 32 PSI rear.

moto g(7) power ?

Air_Boss likes this.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    BTW-. Ended up buying a larger diameter spare to make up for the difference.

moto g(7) power ?

Air_Boss likes this.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, did not make a clear answer to the OP question. When searching for a tire I searched for a W speed rating to match the original in performance. I was hoping to get these super cheap $50/tire tires in size 225/50R17 at America’s Tire (Discount Tire). What happened was the front right tire was driven flat and was under road hazard warranty with them. They would not give me a significantly cheaper tire as a replacement, so I picked the next W rated tire in the pricing range, which just so happened to be the Kumhos.

The take home message is, I did 0 research into a quiet tire choice. Just putting slightly more rubber between the wheel and the road seems to make a significant contribution to ride comfort and noise.

Heck we have a fender dent right above the tire. I was so worried the extra size would possibly make it rub that damaged part I bought a new fender as a precaution and was going to paint and install it myself if it did, but it is still in the box now in the garage....

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tire Size Calculator

I agree with @jzchen concerning a taller tire sidewall making the ride smoother.
    Although, the low profile tires have been reported here as giving better handling response with their rougher ride.

Here are a couple tires you might consider?
    Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus All-Season P215/60R-17 96 T Tire - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
    Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus 225/55R17

90k warranty in your current size
    Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus 215/50R17

https://www.tires-easy.com/215-55-17/michelin-tires/defender-t-h/tirecode/11711
    I've got these in stock size 195-65-15
    I had same sized Michelin Harmony and two of the 4 lasted 100k miles.
    Though I may be looking at the Pirelli's closer next time around.

New grading system replacing treadlife warranty rated tires
    UTQG
    The Tire Review: UTQG Rating Chart