1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a Bluetooth adapter for a non Bluetooth phone.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Steve Goldenberg, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Need a Bluetooth adapter (handset only, I think) so that my non Bluetooth LG 510 cell phone will connect with the Prius system at least for the basic handset (mic & speakers) profile.
    I had one in my hand at CES and it did connect my phone to a "standard" Bluetooth headset. It was a small prototype that had a small jack that plugged right into the phone. They wouldn't give or sell it to me but something like it should be available somewhere.

2. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a non-bluetooth Kyocera 7135 Smartphone that I really like. I bought the Jabra headset for non-bluetooth phones to see if I could make it work in my Prius. I could get the Jabra headset to work just fine but could not get the Prius to recognise the Jabra. Folks on the Kyocera site said it couldn't be made to work with the bluetooth in the Prius because the phone wasn't setup to fully work with bluetooth. No one on the Yahoo site had any successful suggestions. My advice- buy a bluetooth phone.

Good luck.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    David's right, it won't work that way. There are two (maybe more) components to the Bluetooth thing, a handsfree and something else, the thing for the headset just requires one, the thing for the Prius requires both. You'll either have to suffer without bluetooth (I didn't find that an acceptable option) or by a bluetooth phone....be aware that several carries have no bluetooth phones....I had to switch from Altell to T-mobil for mine.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The phone/device must support the hands free profile, and to do address book transfers, should also support object push protocol. The former differs from what the Jabber provides. The Jabber is simply wireless sound. The hands free protocol also allows for dialing, and other basic data exchange like caller ID, signal strength, etc.

-Rick

5. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So, if my Kyocera 7135 has the hands free profile, it may be possible to find a bluetooth adaptor that might work? The only bluetooth adaptors I can find in my town are the Jabra and I don't want to mail order one that I will most likely return. Any suggestions for brands other than Jabra for non-bluetooth phones would be great.

Thanx

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    David -

In case some of us know some deals on some new Bluetooth phones, who's your carrier and what kind of contract are you in (length)?

7. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Danny,
    Its not as simple as simply getting a BT phone. The Kyocera 7135 is a combo PDA and great phone with speakerphone. To replace I would have to buy a new PDA and a BT phone with speakerphone. I waited much longer for the Kyocera smartphone concept in a workable format than I did for the Prius and am loath to change. Until someone comes out with a PDA BT phone its worth it to me to just continue to enjoy the Prius and my phone in their unconnected state. Its also not a matter of money or contract obligations - its form factor and convenience.

Wireless life is further complicated in the fact I live and work on an island with very poor cell phone reception. The best reception by far for me is with Verizon and Verizon doesn't have a BT phone.

All that being said, I'm watching for new smart phones and researching BT adaptors. Thanks for your thoughts.

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Gotcha - that does make it a bit more complicated.

And I'm sure we all feel so sorry for you living on an island and all :cussing: :guns:

:lol: