1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a check on parts list

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sigo, May 9, 2011.

1. Sigo

Sigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All,

Getting ready to upgrade the system in a 2011 Prius II. Need a sanity check on my parts list. What am I missing?

Kenwood DNX-7160 Deck
    Kenwood KCA-IP301V iPod Video Direct Cable for iphone4 integration
    Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker
    SIRIUS SCC1 Connect Universal Tuner
    Kenwood CA-SR20V Sirius Connection Cable for 2008 Video Unit
    Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black)
    Metra 95-8226B Dash Kit for Toyota Prius 2010 Double DIN
    Metra 70-8114 Swc add-on Harness W/Rca For Toyota
    E-bay Back up camera for an 09 Camry

Would like to order all my stuff soon so would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    -KCA-iP302v Kenwood harness instead of the KCA-iP301v, also provides charging for "iPad" - you never know

-3.5 and USB surface mount extensions

-The Metra 95-8226B Dash Kit is good, but consider the Toyota face plate - matches dash grain

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Sigo

Made post right before leaving for work last night, so let me elaborate please. KCA-IP302 is the link for the KCA-iP302v. You see it's the latest version with reportedly faster transfer rate. Per www.kenwoodforums.com, although the KCA-iP301v works with the new "iPads", it does not charge them. The KCA-iP302v does. I have the 301 now and will get the 302 when the Wife or Kids get the latest iPad or whatever.

With regards to the remote surface mount 3.5 and USB jacks, if you look at the install manual for the DNX7160, the USB is used for Kenwood updates (backgroung, Bluetooth, audio firmware, ect.), other USB devices and for iPod, iPone, iPad or any other compatible Apple products (with or without the 3.5's). The 3.5's are also individual A/V's and switchable in the menu. If you mount all three seperatly to a panel, then you can use them with the KCA-iP302v together (plug the 302 into it externally) or individually for updates, thumb drives, MP3 players, ect. Just suggesting you keep your options open and not require pulling the HU everytime you need to do something different. There are gerneric 3.5 surface mount jacks and I used DataPro USB’s P/N 1589. They have different lenghts and there are other brands.

If you choose the Toyota face plate #55406-47080, know that there is a gap on both ends. The Kenwood DNX7160 comes with a filler plate and describes it's application on the install instructions. I chose the method used for GM's [​IMG]. The method recommended for Toyota I feel is not best for this unit has it has the tilting sreen. The Metra surround has no gap and the color also matches, however the texture is a flat semi gloss and not the brushed texture of the stock dash.

I make these recommendations as I have the 9960. Do what you want, but I felt I should pass on what I have learned. Good luck with your upgrade. Sorry this was a little long winded.

Attached Files:

4. Sigo

Sigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    frodoz737,

Thanks for the response. This is actually very helpful. I will certainly take your recommendation on the KCA-iP302v. Regarding the surface mount USB and 3.5, if I understand this correctly, this is just extending the 3.5 and USB connection from the back of the HU to a panel somewhere that is more accessible. Would you care to elaborate on where you extended these? Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Also, could you provide a link to the actual extensions you used? I truly appreciate your time in answering these questions. Much appreciated.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    USB Panel-Mount Type A Cable -- DataPro for the USB extensions. This is where I had mine mounted [​IMG]. The DNX7160 has one USB and two 3.5 A/Vs on the back, plus the SD card reader under the screen for Garmin updates. The DNX9960 has 2ea. USBs, one for Apple only, the other for everything else. My forward USB is for Kenwood updates, thumb drives, external HDs, ect. The one on the side next to the 3.5s is Apple only. Originally I was going with the back inside of the console above where the current AUX (now deactivated) and Power plugs are, but decided against for access and this is a beverage hazard area. I also considered the panel under the bridge where the other power outlet and blank switch for factory seat heaters is located. That was a tough decision between there and upper glove box. Went with glove box because as door can be closed with whatever device is in use or connected. If money alows, consider the DNX9980 instead. It was not out in Dec when I made my decision. Seach google for best price from an authorized distributor (warranty). Someone else here got one cheap through CarToys, call them. I got mine through them as well, via www.gosale.com for the price match. Again, these are just my opinions based on my experience. You do what works for you and good luck. Time to go to work again.

Attached Files:

6. Sigo

Sigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like the glove box idea. I had not considered that. Again, this was very helpful. Reference your satellite hookup, I assume you went with the scc1. Did you buy the adapter for a Lexis GS in order to use the factory antenna? Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks.

7. javilesi

javilesi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sure this has been asked and answered a billion times, but where do you get this piece? (Any Toyota dealership? didn't find it on ebay) How much will it set you back?

Would you know if I need a filler for a Pioneer deck avic z130bt?

Thanks!!!

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To Sigo.
    Yes on the SCCI and mounted in the large open area behind the HU. I heard of the Lexus adapter, but went with Sirius antenna not wanting to chance the poor reception 2010 models are notorious for. Initially the antenna was placed under the dash near my right 3" speaker (where the squawker was), but SAT reception was very poor. Later it was moved on top of the dash, full forward and center between the defroster vents.. The picture is not real good, but you can see it in the windshield reflection. [​IMG] It is visible, but with only slight intrusion, and works great now. Will post a better picture later.

To javilesi.
    The Toyota trim was purchased at my Dealership for I believe $78. All Dealerships have different prices due to their own overhead. In Spiderman's Sticky, he said he bought his on ebay. Do a P/N search, you might get lucky. If you use the Toyota trim you will need filler/s. As someone corrected me previously, this trim is made for a Toyota HU used in Europe that is wider than the standard Double DINs. I believe the avic z130bt has the tilt screen, so you may consider a solution where the filler does not move with it, as I did. The (Kenwood) filler plate, with fitted cut out, was attatched to the back side of the #55406-47080, allowing the screen to move within it. Kind of a surround filler. The Metra 95-8208 or Toyota side pieces are solutions others have used, and I'm sure they can de mounted fixed or movable. Frenchie posted the Toyota P/Ns here, just can't remenber where at the moment. Maybe someone else can chime in on this. All respects, my solution just worked better for me. By the way, radio reception is no longer an issue now.

Hope that helped with "your" decisions.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.