1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a fast answer, I'm thinking of buying a Prius

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Fla_Panther, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Fla_Panther

Fla_Panther Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

My vehicle was in a wreck this past week so I need to buy a car this weekend or next weekend. I found what looks to be a really nice Prius on sale but the seller is asking about $5k below Kelly Blue Book for it. It's hard to believe they don't know the KBB value so I'm concerned there might be something wrong with the car. The seller said they'd be available around 2pm today, which is only 2 hours from now so I need some answers. I'm familiar with gas-powered cars and things to look for on those cars but this will be my first EV or Hybrid. What do I need to know before I go look at this car?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm. Doesn't seem to want to let me edit the post. I forgot to mention it's a 2007 Prius, touring model with 60k miles on it, if that makes any difference.

2. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have the VIN? I would get a car fax on it. It may have been wrecked or in a flood at sometime. Remember... if it's seems to good to be true, it probably is.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you are in FL, not a CARB state so HV batt guaranteed for 8-yr or 100k miles.
    My 2006 still values at ~$8500 if less than $9000 for 2007 something seems fishy, but check orig purchase date to see where you stand on warranty....seems like some time left

4. Clearwater Blue PIP

Clearwater Blue PIP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would take it to your local Toyota dealer and have it inspected before purchase. Also, get a carfax to ensure there are no surprises like flood damage or major accident.

If the owner does not want to cooperate with a pre-purchase inspection, then I'd walk away.

Otherwise, it may be a good deal as long as it checks out! Welcome to Priuschat!

5. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, the kbb value for very good condition from a private party is $13600 for Orlando, FL.

Is the seller asking for around $8500 for it? That is a very good deal.

First things first. Don't rush into it. As with any transaction, the seller has more information than you do.

The primary risk you're taking is whether or not there is a lien on the car.
    The very first thing you should do during the buying process or any financial transaction is to carefully read all the car paperwork, the title and the registration. These papers should tell you whether the car has a lien already on it or if the lien is completely paid off. You should not only check the name on the title and registration but check the seller's id if you are dealing with a private transaction. If any of these papers show that there is a lien on the vehicle, then you should ask the seller to provide paper work showing that the lien has been completely paid.

Spend $50 on a carfax or autocheck if the owner does not have a current copy if you decide to buy it.

Test drive a 07 or newer Gen 2 Prius at a dealer before you buy it. You might get burned with a sample size of 1. There could be something seriously wrong with it.

Bring an OBDII code scanner with you to see if there are any diagnostic trouble codes stored in the ECMs. It won't catch the exotic hybrid ones but it will find the more general ones.

Tell us where you live. Maybe there's a Priuschat member near you who would be willing to meet you when you go to inspect the car. There's no better judge of a Gen 2 Prius than someone who has owned one for a few years.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The advice to get a Car Fax, and have it checked out is good. I would want that with ANY used vehicle I purchased.

Unfortunately from the tone of your original post, it sounds like you are rushed and are doing this under a "need it immediately" or must decide quickly scenario. Which happens to a lot of people but is a bad way to approach buying a used vehicle.

In that case you might not have the time to arrange an inspection.

So what advice can I give you? If you're buying a vehicle under those conditions hybrid or otherwise you end up going with what you know, can find out immediately or just with a test drive, but mostly just your gut.

And Yes, as I suspect you know, often if it seems too good to be true, it isn't.

I guess my advice is try to follow the advice already given above. And really try not to be rushed. Even if I had to rent a car for a week just so I could more leisurely shop and check out my purchase, I'd do it.

If you are dealing with a seller that is "rushing" you? Or demanding immediate decisions? I'd pass. You should be able to get a Carfax, relatively painlessly and quickly, and if the seller isn't willing to allow a pre-purchase inspection? Well I'd be very suspicious.

frodoz737 likes this.
  7. Fla_Panther

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, unfortunately I am in a bit of a rush, I wasn't planning on having to be in the situation I'm in. Unfortunately I work nights and sleep during the day (and work 10-hour shifts) so my life is pretty much limited to the weekends. I'm looking at getting either a Prius, Civic hybrid, or VW TDI because I have a 40-60 minute commute each way. I do live in the Tampa area. If there are any Prius owners in the area free today or tomorrow I'd be happy to buy you a 12-pack for your time :)

I printed out copies of a checklist of 40-50 items so I don't forget anything, and I was planning on getting a carfax but thanks for the reminder to check the title/registration for liens. I'd forgotten about that.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you're in a rush, hybrid might not be the way to go. all the best!(y)

9. Fla_Panther

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why is that?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just a lot more things to go wrong and need to be more carefully checked out. 1) battery 2) inverter 3) cvt. at a minimum, you want a clean carfax and title, complete service records (should only be oil and filter changes, tyres, etc.) and a nice long test drive to watch mpg's and battery meter. be careful of cars that may have come from flooded locations.

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Same schedule as you so know it's a pain, but you are going to loose some sleep on this one. My advice...rent a car and take your time. ;)

Blu-ray likes this.
  12. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    VW's are maintenance nightmares.. And if you buy the last gen 06-09 they have soft cams that are known to fail after 60k miles or so.. Also electrical issue. Prior to that is timing belt and water pump every 60k think dealers charge around 2500$. Civics had battery issues and are hard to find used batteries.. Also seem that allot complain that they don't get much better fuel economy then the non hybrids.. I had a 04 Prius that I just sold with 150k on it.. Just replaced the battery with a junk yard pull for 600$.. now have a 2010 with 96k on clock no issues and just had all fluid changed and brake pads

LG-G2 ?

13. Fla_Panther

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wanted to come back and say thanks to everyone who replied. In the end it was a very simple situation. The car was a flood vehicle and I walked away. I wound up with a 2010 VW Jetta TDI, which as 04priusnow mentioned , do have issues. I did get it for about $5k below KBB but there are things that need to be repaired ... CV axles, stereo, speakers were blown, dents and dings on the car from lots of highway driving (it had been a salesman's car).

I'm also finding out this particular model has some serious potential to grenade ... it's got a dual-mass flywheel that can go bad. If you catch it early it's a $1,400 job but if you catch it late and it takes out the transmission it's a $7,000 job. Also the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) can implode, sending metal flakes throughout the whole fuel system ... a $10,000 repair if VW chooses not to honor their warranty. So I'm strongly considering fixing the cosmetic issues and then trading it in to leverage the fact that I got it below KBB.

What I'm curious about now is ... do the Prius vehicles also have similar model-specific known issues that can blow up cost-wise? Now that I'm not in a rental I do have some time to do longer amounts of reading before deciding but I don't know where to start. For example, the HPFP problem mentioned above ... had I not come across a thread about that by accident I wouldn't have known to search for "HPFP".

14. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is really none for the Prius. I guess if I could really stretch and look for something, it would be the ICE water pump. There are quite a few reports of them needing replaced. My personal opinion is that the dealer exaggerated a lot of these to pad their pockets but, who knows. Other than that, really nothing.