1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a favor from someone decent with Excel

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Oct 14, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never been able to figure out Excel and have little need for it other than once a year when I want to print a new mileage log. I'd love one I could update/track on my PC that would do all the calculations for me.
    I don't think what I want is too complicated, but I don't know for sure. I can scan a copy of the old sheet I've been recording stuff on as a template to work from.

If you're willing and able please PM me...not sure what I can do for you in return, but you can keep an 'I owe ya one' in your pocket.

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 14 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]525671[/snapback]</div>
    Don't know that it is what you're looking for, but I've sent you mine via PM. It is very crude (perhaps I should just say "basic"), but it gets me the info I want to play with. I still keep all the data in a small book in my car, but having a spreadsheet gives me chance to come up with such interesting data points as "miles per day" and "dollars per mile" when I sit and play at Excel.

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW!! I got like 5 offers in 10 minutes...thanks guys. I'm going to give one of the offers a go and am confident I'll get what I need there. Thanks for all the offers. Now I feel dumb not being able to figure that software out myself!

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be happy to help you too, Evan, but it sounds like you have enough already. Maybe you could post up the spreadsheet and have a few of us offer suggestions for improvement, and let more of us use it. Don't feel dumb. Excel is both simple and complex, and will just sit there staring back at you if you don't know the commands.

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 14 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]525680[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe what would be helpful is just a list of datapoints that would be most useful to track. I have a very simple spreadsheet, and I gather info in the simplest format. I'd like to find out what raw data people record and what they do with it. I know some folks won't want to make their spreadsheets completely public, but perhaps they can share pieces of those spreadsheets or at least the datapoints they track.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, we're all here to learn right?

You can add anything you want to the spreadsheet to find what you're looking for (e.g. cost per mile or total cost of fuel per year etc etc)

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll attach the spread sheet I've been using. I managed to make it come together by modifying someone else's spread sheet a couple years back (maybe john1701a's?). This is really all I want again, but I'd like it to do the main calculations for me and be easily modifiable so I can do a new one from scratch every year. You'll note a column I'm confident few if any of you have..it's my ODO + 569 miles. I had the Fuel Gauge TSB done and they let me keep my car while the part was on order. I drove 569 miles before they did the TSB work and thus the new computer they put in with my ODO was the reading I had when they placed the order. Thus without that +569 my calculations are a bit off.

I also have the area to the right where I keep track of my monthly miles/fuel/mpg That's just so I can look back and compare year to year. But I need to be able to select exactly which tanks go there since sometimes they'll bridge a month and I choose the month that I did the most driving in for that tank to go into.

Finally, I don't want/need any fancy graphs or anything, I just want to be able to print it out on a single side of a single page and have room to hand write in the data for the copy I keep in my car to record on at fill-ups.

Thanks again everyone, didn't expect such a huge fast response.
    Couldn't get the file to upload, so here's a different method...
    [​IMG]

Oh, and no "doctor's handwriting" comments are necessary!

8. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 14 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]525684[/snapback]</div>

9. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [attachmentid=12030]This is the Excel form I made up or myself. If you can adapt it for your own use, please do. If not I'd be happy to make one just like your handwritten one.

Attached Files:

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At first glance, I'd say you're doing far more hand calculations than you need to. For input data, all you really need is trip miles and fuel. Pretty much everything else derives from that. Noting the 'mpg shown' will help you track any discrepancy between it and calculated mpg, and it would be interesting to see if it's consistent. You can do an 'edit', 'move or copy sheet' to keep the current and prior years in one file, and link the pages to connect the lifetime data. The possibilities are endless - would you prefer to learn, or have one of us email you a fill-in-the-blanks version?

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 15 2007, 12:10 AM) [snapback]525743[/snapback]</div>
    Mark made a similar comment....
    I realize that and that's why I'm wanting/hoping for a new spreadsheet.
    At one time I had one that did some calcuations, but when I tried to modify it to meet my needs I messed it up and it no longer did the math for me.

I'd like the new one to do the obvious math...I enter the ODO reading and it inputs the 'trip/tank miles', it adds the 569. I enter the fuel amount and it calculates tank mpg and then updates the total fuel and LMPG.

I'd like those key numbers (tank mpg and LMPG) displayed in red or some easy to read color.

Also, I tend to keep a form in my car and only intermittently update my data on the computer/excel sheet. So I may continue to do manual entry/math much of the time...or maybe I won't if it's super easy to just enter the date, enter the ODO and enter the fuel used (and MFD MPG since I like to track that) and the program does the rest. I always enter each tank at CleanMPG.com and Greenhybrid.com so it should be just as easy to enter stuff on my excel sheet at the same time.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 14 2007, 11:03 PM) [snapback]525701[/snapback]</div>
    Nice to see that I'm not the only person on planet earth with terrible writing skills

With experience, Excel and for that matter all the Office products, are easy to customise to your liking. I have a very simple Excel spreadsheet to calculate home energy use, and a fancier sheet for simple business expenses.

13. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Evan may have gotten what he needs by now, but I'll post mine here anyway. It might be nice for this thread to become the repository/contest for best gas/mileage logs!

Mine was lifted from someone else here, but I modified it a bit to do things the way I want. One thing that especially bugs me in excel is math errors showing up in cells as "####" or "#Value!" so I added some conditional logic to leave fields blank until the row is filled in :) Also note the "Chart" page that graphs values over time. I had a second sheet in the same doc that tracked gas use in our Camry and charted on the same chart, and it's funny to compare most vehicles' gas use to that of a Prius... I took that page out since it's not 100% relevant here.

The left-hand side is for inputs, the fields under the blue headers, from DATE to CAR MPG (i.e. what your MFD says) are filled in by hand and the rest is calculated.

[attachmentid=12037]

I left in my actual data so you can see what a filled-in sheet looks like. I can only claim responsibility for the tanks with higher avg MPG on my spreadsheet though because my wife gets to drive the Prius most of the time :D

[edit]
    On closer inspection of Evan's spreadsheet, I think I'll add in another page with his comparison of monthly/yearly MPG avgs. Then I'll start training my wife to P&G and see if the numbers go up! My sheet is not optimized for printing, and I usually just write the ODO and MFD-MPG on the gas receipt so all the info I need is in one place.

Attached Files:

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Oct 15 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]525846[/snapback]</div>
    I do like that, not exactly what I had in mind but I like the optional 'graph' page...that would be fun to print out at the end of the year. There's a bit more stuff on there than I care to worry about, but the cost per mile part is cool.

15. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since you mention cost per mile, I think I'll also add a page that lets me input service info, and that also adds that into the cost/mile calculation... while I'm at it, I think I'll factor in the purchase price, and watch the lifetime cost per mile go steadily down as the car ages :)

16. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For anyone else that would like a spreadsheet, but who does not have a copy of MS Office, there are a couple of alternatives:
    Google documents has a free spreadsheet. It is stored online, so you can access it from any computer with Internet access... this has some advantages.
    OpenOffice.org has a free version of the "Office" suite, if you'd like the tools on your computer without the cost.
    :D

17. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Fine, here's the google version of my spreadsheet :p :

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p3d...QH9SA&hl=en

The chart page didn't import properly, but it's no big loss. FWIW you can open .XLS files in both OpenOffice.org and Google, so anyone who doesn't own M$Office should still be able to view them.

18. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you Ichabod for posting your spreadsheet! It's going to come in handy and you saved me a LOT of work (I've been putting this one off for a while) :)

I added a couple columns at the end for gas station name and location so I can track if there is a mileage trend (good or bad) for any particular station / brand.

For the ubergeeks wanting to use the Avg Temp column, I found these web sites from which the data can be gathered:

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/CDO/wmores40.jsp?...6georegionabbv=

http://www.engr.udayton.edu/weather/citylistUS.htm

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wanted to update that Mark (airportkid) kindly volunteered to do my custom Excel page. He went far beyond my expectations and way beyond anything I ever would have been able to accomplish for the final product.

Thanks again, Mark, for your help here.

I'll attach the final product in case anyone's interested.

20. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh wow, I'm glad I didn't follow through on my half-promise to do that for you, because Mark clearly knows excel a lot better than me :) Your new one even has some nice features that I might have to borrow for my spreadsheet now!