1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a few snappy replies

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bluebell, May 30, 2005.

1. Bluebell

Bluebell New Member

Well, Memorial Day family gatherings seemed like a great time to tell our friends and family we got a new car. YIKES! My inlaws let us know they think we are wierd and foolish in record time! Naturally, they don't know anything at all about hybrid vehicles (I think my mother in law is picturing us having to recharge at some giant outlet every 100 miles. Maybe she even thinks we have a long cord like a vaccuum cleaner...)

I didn't expect much from Mom but was surprised my siblings also had huge doubts. They don't want me getting the stone lions or travelling on the highway, etc. I think we've generally convinced them that we haven't made the BIGGEST mistake of our lives (or at least we presented all the info and answered all the questions). Now I want some jokes and light hearted replies. I figure I'll be getting razzed quite a bit until a little time passes and the mighty Bluebells proves herself to be car of reknown. Any suggestions?

2. jeepien

jeepien Member

I think it's fun to play into the ignorance of the gullible.

Keep them believing that all the silly things they think are true, and more!

o Hang a plug out of the rear hatch, or the gas filler.

o Ask them to keep an eye out for cents-off coupons on batteries and to clip and save them for you.

o Tell them that you have to make only right turns so that the extension cord stays on the curb side and doesn't get tangled.

Others will present themselves. The longer you can keep it going the better. Sooner or later they'll find out, and the payoff will be great.

As a finale, tell them how, oddly enough, the word "gullible" has the distinction of being the only commonly-used everyday English word that does not appear in any normal dictionary. Swear to it, to your last breath. Tell them that if they are incredulous, they should just go find a dictionary and they will see for themselves that you're telling the truth.

3. Bluebell

Bluebell New Member

"Tell them that you have to make only right turns so that the extension cord stays on the curb side and doesn't get tangled."

Oh yes! This has definite possibilities for getting out of un pleasant errands, too.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sneak up on them in stealth mode as often as you can and scare the bejesus out of them, then tell them they can’t rely on everything they hear being true, then laugh hysterically . :lol:

Ask them, “Why does your car idle?†Then follow it up with a quick snobbish, “Well, that's kind of dumb.†:p

Let them drive. That normally does the trick. :mrgreen:

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    first, hooray to biologists! i have a BSc in biochem and CMB. :) glad to see another science/prius geek here!

i think the round plug in the front has some awesome possibilities for leading your relatives on. you know, that's where you insert the 40 C batteries or something.

i got a lot of questions about whether you can drive it in the rain. on a rainy day, call one of them up and ask for a ride because "hybrid vehicles can't drive in the rain"

eventually they might realize you're being sarcastic... and when they do it'll be really funny. :)

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    running on SPE's post...

how about sitting in traffic and FREAKING OUT when the engine kicks off?

or when they actually understand this is supposed to happen, complaining about all the sound pollution from cars around you and why can't they all shut up?

i used that one on hubby last night as we were coming home from the grocery store and he cracked up.

7. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ... or when the car comes to a stop and goes into stealth, ask them if they'd be so kind as to get out and help give it a push start. I've wanted to say that to a passenger, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

8. dbird29

dbird29 Junior Member

Bluebell's Owner,
    Tell them your choice is no more wierd than spending a bazillion dollars on some luxury vehicle. It is reasonably priced, economical and fun to drive. My wife tells everyone it is a golf cart because of the reverse beeper. She get to play (fantasy) golf all day long!
    Have fun.
    DBird

9. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you told them what kind of gas mileage you are getting? That tends to stop most negative conversation.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My come-backs all depend on the person.

If they don't understand the technology, I question why they feel compelled to criticize and condemn something they don't understand. Like the people of the Dark Ages.

If they think that there's no environmental ipmact of the Prius, I inform them that in terms of particulate pollution, the Prius is one of the cleanest gas-comsuming car on the road.

If they still don't get it, I tell them that I refill around ten gallons every other weeks costing around $10 per week. Then I ask them if their monthly car payments or monthly gasoline cost is higher.

If they STILL don't get it, I quit. After all, it's not possible to pour logic into a cup with its lid on. That is to say, if they can't understand what you're telling them, they never will.

Don't worry though. Time is on your side. With every bump in the price of gas, they will feel the hurt. Next year, ask them about their cars.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's always "Well, that and $3 will get you a gallon of gas....maybe."

"You have my cell number? I'll come get you when you run out of gas."

I have a parking guide on the front of my car. I tell them that's the wireless recharger for picking up the electromagnetic fields when I pass under high voltage electrical lines. I suppose you can use the rooftop antenna as well.

Offer to drive everyone in your car the next time they want to take in a "talkie" at the local movie house.

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

while riding in a friends car we pulled up to a stop light.
    I asked why is your car idling?
    cause were at a stop light !
    Kinda Priustoric isn't it?
    You wanna walk?
    I let it ride at that point. Riding beats walking most of the time.

13. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Early on I started having fun with it, like jeepien.

- Tell them you have to leave for home during daylight hours. Otherwise you can't make it back with headlights on.

- Fold the rear seats down and tell them the single biggest polluter on the planet is a house and you'll be living in your Prius from now on, here's the Bluetooth number.

- And, after careful thought about where the best place to live in a car is, you're moving to Nevada.

14. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tell them you have the SEAT option. The Satellite Energy Activated Terminal. You pay $5.00 per year for a direct satellite connection which keeps your batteries charged. Tell them more and more Prius's are getting SEATS every day now. In fact, dual SEATS are now available making it possible to use the satellites not only during the day but night time too. Because of this cutting edge technology, your car doesn't require to be plugged in at night.

Oh, make sure you tell them about your SEAT(s) with a completely straight face.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"94142)</div>
    Last November, in preparation for going to Miami to hop on a cruise ship, I had to drive my friend's van. I told him there's something wrong with his van, the engine won't shut off at traffic stops.

The classic was when I told his daughter that we were out of gas when the ICE shuddered off at a traffic light. She almost bought it.

16. paul16451

paul16451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1) Take them for a short drive, leave your seatbelt off and then when it starts beeping and then starts beeping faster, tell them they'd better get the hell out of the car before it explodes.

2) Someone up here posted a story about the SKS actually being DNA-encoded and the dealer having to take some of your blood in order for it to work. That should provoke and interesting reaction...:)

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try different things. The fact that spun my mom's head around was "four hundred miles between fillups". "48 MPG" and "three weeks between fillups" didn't really grab her, but for some reason the distance figure did.

If you don't like the doubter, "Ha ha! Bite me" works pretty well :_>

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In my opinion, too many people get caught up on the enviro-techno argument and discussion. The fact of the matter is, if the person you are arguing with understood that stuff, you wouldn't be arguing with them.

For example, every intelligent human being knows that smoking is bad for your health. So I don't mention it anymore. But when a smoker mentions that I dress well, I tell them that for the cost of one carton of their cigarettes I bought my shirt. And I can wear my shirt more than once.

Likewise with the Prius.
    I show them two glove boxes.
    I show them the folding seats (front and back!)
    I show them how to store the cargo cover in the 'trunk'.
    I show the other storage areas.
    I show the Nav, I play SKS games, show 6-CDs in-dash, and other things.
    Then I talk about 55MPG.
    I talk about $2.25 per gallon and $20 fill-ups every other week.
    I tell them that I can drive from Chicago to Louisville and half way back before needing gas.

I can tell them a bunch of things without mentioning the hybrid, without talking enviro, and without using big words that are sure to scare them.