1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a new fob

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Aaron Williams, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Aaron Williams

Aaron Williams New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hey everyone,

Just joined me and the wife have had our Prius for a while, our one and only key fob (father in law lost the other one) has stopped working. We can still insert the key and use the physical key to unlock and lock the car door, though the lock gets a little sticky sometimes. Anyone tried using an aftermarket key fob instead of an OEM key fob?

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Not sure which model year you have but there is a great thread somewhere here on PC teaching you all about cloning a new key yourself. It involves opening and closing doors and other chicken dance routines. Still a mystery how the guy figured it out. The dealer sticks it to you for programming so that might be the way to go. It will work on a used fob also if it hasn't been cycled a certain number of times. That's the other wacky thing about cloning fobs
    EDIT
    Here's a link to cloning a fob for the Gen 2 Prius, & if you search around you can figure out how the other Gen's work;
    https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/50743/how-to-reuse-old-prius-fob-with-different-prius
    oops
    Tapa-talk doesn't show you have gen 3, as a real browser does. Now I see your year. Yep you'll have to keep looking as those instructions above ended one prior year.

#2 hill, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My daughter's 2016 Mazda CX-5 she bought used only had one key fob so I bought one from this website. (Note: Batteries Plus claims to be able to program them for $50 and I spent almost 6-hours as they had a heck of a time trying to get it to work...it works but does have gremlins so sometimes refuses.)
    Anyway, I'd check with your dealer...if they only charge $150 which includes programming I'd jump all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake.
    These are under $100. Let us know what you do!
    2009 Toyota Prius Key Fob - Remotes and Transponder Keys