1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a point in the right direction for power hookup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Virodeath, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Trying to tie down a location to connect my heated seats (trim place refused to touch it since they said they knew nothing about the electrical system of a Prius).

I have the 2005 loaded package and currently the power wires for both seats are run under the dash just below the fuse box. At first I thought I would just plug into the fuse box (LOL yes just like that!) then I actually crawled up under there and couldn't even figure out how to remove the plastic under the steering wheel (feel so ashamed)....

I just spent close to two hours searching for previous posts on removing that panel and am either a "search idiot" or am using to big of words for the search engine..... Anyway I didn't find any helpful info on taking it apart. Can anyone refer me to a link they might have taken part in or know of that explains how to remove that panel?

OR

Am I maybe trying to connect the power to a spot that I shouldn't. I know someone had mentioned to me before that I would want to connect it to a ACC source (I think this is the power source that shuts off when the car is turned off). Is there an easier way or easier location for the tie in that won't get me in trouble with Toyota or my warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Viro

Also does the ACC wire pull off the 12v battery or the Hybrid system? Is that something I need to be worried about?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 17 2007, 06:54 AM) [snapback]526786[/snapback]</div>

Very cool PDF! Thanks very much! I assumed I would need to tie into the main block because they might pull to much power to piggy back off an existing circuit. Can I get away with splicing into the center console power and not worry about overloading the line??

Viro

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Virodeath @ Oct 17 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]526801[/snapback]</div>
    Again, I'll back off as you're well into an area that I lack expertise. What are the specs on your seat heaters? Have you downloaded the wiring diagram from the Toyota tech site to see how tht circuit is fused?
    Somebody here will know exactly what load it can handle and if you give us the specs on the seat heaters that'll clear up that question.

One other option to consider is to run the lines to the battery itself and putting an inline fuse. My only concern there is if you leave the seat heaters turned on by accident it could drain the battery pretty quickly I think...of course that's something you'll need to be careful about however you wire them up...I assume you'll want to be sure they turn off when the car turns off.

5. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 17 2007, 07:18 AM) [snapback]526802[/snapback]</div>

Yes I def. want to make sure they shut off when the car does. I will get the info. on the heaters when I get off work and post it.

Viro