1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice about chains for 2007 and 2005

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by realtat, Dec 14, 2008.

1. realtat

realtat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello there. I live in Nevada where we have big snow occasionally. I bought chains for my car and my daughter's last year without ever trying them or using them last winter. I needed mine today and, although I bought what the Toyota dealer said I should buy and I bought them from him, the chains don't work. The tires rotate inside the chains. I had good help putting the chains on, so I doubt that is the problem.

I am so angry at myself for not taking the time to try out the chains, and at Toyota for giving me the wrong chains, because I have sent my daughter up the mountains many times with the chains I bought her in her car, thinking she had chains so she was OK. What an idiot I was not to try them out!

I intend to go back to the dealer and ask him to exchange them, even though I bought them about a year ago.

Two questions: What chains do I need and is there anything special that has to be done to get them on right for my 2007? Same question for my daughter's 2005?

We get lots of questions about the two Priuses at the house, and we just say we bought them at the two for one sale. Really, I couldn't get any face time with my car when I owned the 2005 because my daughter loved it so much. In 2007 I gave up and let her have it and got another one. Thank goodness I don't have any more kids to take this one.

2. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I don't have the exact answer for you but that chain may need to be shortened for that tire. Chains made with links, not that steel cord and wrap around beads, usually need shortening as each chain is made for a range of tires, not for each size. If you still have the box it came in, you should see a number of tire sizes shown. :eek:
    Yep, should have tried them or had them fitted when you bought them. Perhaps the dealer can fit them and you are done.
    Hope it works out for you, best of luck.:)