1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice about upgrading iphone intergration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone,

I have a 2008 Prius. It has the single CD player and 6 speaker set up. I don't have the nav or the phone integrated from the factory. I purchased the VAIS SL2Vi back in 2009 I think. At that time we just had on ipod and it integrated well. Well my wife got an iphone and I didn't want her to have to pick it up when driving so got a Parrot 3200 LS-COLOR Car kit for Bluetooth. This worked well, but times they are a changing. I want to upgrade her car so that her interface with her iphone is better. The VAIS ML Plus looks awesome, but it lacks phone integration.

Are there other solutions to integrate the iphone more completely than one for the ipod component and a separate one for the phone? Maybe a new radio that can integrate both?

The videos that I have seen for the ML Plus are all for Lexus MFD heads. Does anyone know if the prius MFD looks the same with the ML Plus hooked up?

Any one using a HDD attached to the ML Plus? Where in the prius are you running the wires?
    Will the ML Plus play videos on the HDD or only from the ipod?

Looks like the videos need to be controled directly from the ipod and not through the MFD. Are there any solutions that allow control of the video through the MFD (can be other than VAIS solutions)?

Would love to get rid of the parrot as it has a horrible mic. I would love to use the mic that is already in the prius (currently there is one used to monitor the background noise and adjust the audio for the radio accordingly). Anyway to do this on a prius that was not originally installed with the phone integrated?

I am looking to keep the look as stock as possible, but would make changes if they looked "cool".

Thanks for any input you can give me. The ML Plus looks so cool in the lexus and I hope it looks the same in the prius.

Steve

2. RyC

RyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a new radio with Bluetooth built in is your best bet. I'm not sure you can use the built in mic with an aftermarket radio though.