1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Advice/Feedback on buying Mom's 2005 w/80k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JoAdam, Oct 25, 2009.

1. JoAdam

JoAdam New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

My mom would rather I buy her Prius than get a poor trade-in value for it when she goes to buy a Subaru. (They moved to an area where the plow isn't so reliable, so she'll need AWD for the winter months.)

I'm just wondering what the potential pitfalls are from buying the car. Here are the facts:
    * 2005, basic model (but she says it has lights on the sun visor mirrors!)
    * 80,000 miles
    * had some bad wheel issue, is fixed now
    * mostly driven long distances on gravel paved roads in Northern MN (>15 miles at a time, very few stops, dirt, salt, etc)
    * I will drive city style around Minneapolis (<15 miles at a time, lots of stops, snow, salt, etc)
    * I read another post to consider replacing the tires for winter driving.
    * I read some posts about the battery possibly needing replacement, but buying a used one on eBay+labor should cost about $2000. And it said the Prius has been out for 9 years with good hybrid battery life.
    * The manual says that Toyota does not recommend towing, but has anyone added a towing package to their Prius? We have a very tiny fishing boat that my hubby is currently towing with his Celica (seriously! it's pretty fun to see)

Any other comments/advice/feedback??

Thank you!

2. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it to a dealer and have the shop check it out
    WInter tires in MN is a must, not so much for the snow but for the freezing temps. All seson will be like hockey pucks for tires

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While nobody will guarantee it, you can expect the HV battery to last at least 180k miles. Replacement with a used can vary in cost.

Others have used their Prius for hauling with a trailer, just be aware that it could be hard on your transaxle, and damage to that won't be cheap to fix.
    Prius trailer site:priuschat.com - Google Search

The below is not, however, recommended!
    [​IMG]

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are a major tune-ups at 100,000 and 120,000 miles, set a little aside.
    Toyota Parts and Service
    The Prius likes longer trips, and works harder in the cold, so do not expect 50 MPG in your situation.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure buying a car just to please your Mother is the best idea for either of you. She could always sell it privately, rather than trade it in. Having said that, it's a good car with reasonable mileage, and you know its history.

Definitely, get new tires.

Oh, welcome to PriusChat! :)

6. JoAdam

JoAdam New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, everyone! :rockon: (this dude is great!)

The UHaul trailer picture is hilarious!

Seems like I'll need a visit to the dealer and see what they say. And get a price check on winter tires, unless she has some already.

The maintenance website is great. It's bookmarked. Thanks!

We've been wanting a new 'adult' car for a while since my hubby and I both drive sporty cars... hard to have any backseat riders... or any car seats if we need in the future. The Prius drives well and has a lot of room inside for the long rides to/from my parents, now 4 hours away. And heckuva lot cheaper to buy from Mom than anywhere else. She turned down my offer of $10, so I offered $20. That was turned down, too! Guess I might need to add another zero to the offer. ha!

If anyone has anything else to offer for advice, please keep it coming. I just want to make sure we're well informed.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. jkmla5

jkmla5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    WE bought a used 2001 Prius from a private party about 2 years ago. Have not had any trouble and have taken some very long trips in the vehicle. One of which included my 6'5" brother in-law for an 8 hour drive. He sat in the back seat (sort of side ways) and did not complain of any comfort issues. You would be smart to purchase the vehicle from your Mother. You know the history of the vehicle, the driver, and how it was driven. Could not ask for better intel for buying a used vehicle. Hey, if you don't buy it, maybe she would sell to me?

9. rfelley

rfelley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You really haven't given much information other than miles on the odometer. Based on the information I'd say if you can get into this vehicle for under $10,000 then just buy it, learn about it, drive it, take care of it, enjoy the fine ride, handling, and fuel mileage!