1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need advice for after market GPS NAV

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mkurasinski, Sep 18, 2006.

1. mkurasinski

mkurasinski New Member

I opted for a package 3 2006 RED prius to have it before the tax break ran out so now I need advice. I want a GPS but I need to find out what other prius owners use. The screen size and voice are important to me. PLEASE ADVISE

2. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(colchestermike @ Sep 18 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]321454[/snapback]</div>
    As you will hear repeatedly, the Garmin NUVI 350 or 360 is what many swear by. Check it out.

3. yorkeyng

yorkeyng New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PsyPrius @ Sep 18 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]321457[/snapback]</div>

I can vouch for the Nuvi. I bought one for my other car and it's amazing. The software and technology are leaps and bounds beyond the Toyota system. Voice shouldn't be an issue since there are several to choose from but screen size might be--it's only about the size of a deck of cards. But it's touch-screen so it makes good use of its screen.

4. mkurasinski

mkurasinski New Member

It looks nice but the screen seems small

5. mkurasinski

mkurasinski New Member

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yorks @ Sep 18 2006, 07:12 PM) [snapback]321460[/snapback]</div>
    Another vote for the Nuvi 360. It's got all the latest features found in GPSes: New sensitive SiRF receiver, Bluetooth, FM TMC traffic receiver support. I found the screen size just right: large enough to be clearly readable and allow easy spelling on the touchscreen, but small enough to hide in your console when parked or slip in your pocket while traveling.

Garmin has a new Nuvi 660 out which has a larger screen (4.3" widescreen vs 3.5" 4:3) and integrated FM traffic receiver.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(colchestermike @ Sep 18 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]321487[/snapback]</div>
    Let's see:

Old receiver lacks sensitivity of latest SiRF chipset

No Bluetooth

Large size and weight makes it 1) hard to find a place to mount, 2) hard to store out of sight when parked, and 3) impossible to take with you when traveling.

No internal batteries to allow operation outside the car.

Sounds like a winner. Are you doing any research beyond comparing screen size?

7. duanelaugh

duanelaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Take a look at Lowrance iWay500C. I have used one for the last two years...I like the screen size (5 Inch). However, it must use vehicle power and can not be used handheld. It fits very nicely on the left corner of the windscreen....covers up that little triangle shaped window.

http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/Products/iWAY500C.asp

8. mkurasinski

mkurasinski New Member

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TomTom Go 700?

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There are other built-in models with a larger screen. It replaces your radio and will hide your MFD when in use

11. egb6550

egb6550 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(colchestermike @ Sep 18 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]321454[/snapback]</div>
    I have two Tom Tom 300's and one of the 500's.. they are great, I use the British Female voice, sometimes the car tries to drive on the left side of the road... the 500 has bluetooth support, ipod support and slices bread

12. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello Mike! If the clarion is what your getting!it looks nice in a review i saw! http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgb...arion_nice.html
    Its big and somewhat portable.but if your planning on using it mostly in the prius id say looks good.But!! it most likely looks like some driving vision will be lost.

13. mkurasinski

mkurasinski New Member

So is it possible to get a aftermarket in dash NAV system for the prius? The dealer said NO

Oh BTW Money is not a concern

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    www.tigergps.com

The black box nav system.. only problem is that it can't use the touch screen capability of our screen but otherwise, uses the screen in the Prius.

15. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(colchestermike @ Sep 18 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]321465[/snapback]</div>

You know, when I was looking for a GPS, I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't willing to pay $5000 extra just to get the integrated GPS, but was wanting to have the "full" size screen etc.

I ended up getting a Garmin 350, I absolutely love it, and the screen size is NOT an issue. The graphics are VERY clear, and most of the time, you're just listening to the spoken commands anyway (which the Garmin does better than most others from what I've seen/heard). And the ability to take it in another vehicle is a bigger plus than you realize. I've taken mine on trips for work etc.

With the prius's MFD already taking up as much space as it does, where are you going to mount another 7" screen. I had to ponder a while before mounting the 350.

If you're determined to have a large screen, consider a unit that has a retracting screen. That way it's hidden and/or our of the way when not in use.

That's the other thing. As much as I have enjoyed the GPS, it's not something I use everyday. My daily commute etc, I don't need it for. I really only take it out occasionally unless I'm on a trip to uncharted waters. I think you'll regret clogging up your dash/interior space for something you won't be using everyday. Seriously, it's loads of fun, and the first week you'll have it on to go to the grocery, but it will quickly turn from a toy to a tool that you'll use when you need it.

Now, if you drive for a living and are constantly finding your way, then yeah, you might want something really premium. Otherwise, listen to us GPS old timers :) and get yourself a nice handheld unit. I really think you'll be happy.

Now, if that black box system that someone mentioned will work, that would be pretty cool, too.

16. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but do GPS receivers require a monthly subscription to anything in order to use them, like an XM radio does? Or do you just buy them, turn them on and use them forever after for free?

The 360 looks really impressive; I'm sorely tempted.

Thanks!

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Oct 24 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]337732[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. The satellite signal that allows the system to know where it is located is free. Data updates, such as new roads and Yellow Pages information, cost money, though. If you can live with stale information, it will cost you nothing past your initial investment.

18. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought the Garmin c320 from Costco for $269.00. Best value on the Market IMHO. Great for newbies looking to get into the GPS world. I couldn't be happier.

19. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 24 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]337733[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info!

I'm trying to figure out where I can browse to find out how much these updates are...

Is Bluetooth the only difference between the 350 and 360? Amazon seems to have great prices on these.

20. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Oct 24 2006, 06:42 PM) [snapback]337736[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota charges $250. I am driving a two years old car with the original NAV DVD. I will probably be updating within the year. It really depends how much new road construction is in the area where you use the system most and how often you use the features that search for places, such as businesses and attractions, by name and categories.