1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need advice for getting wheel replacement for 08 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Roserostek, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Roserostek

Roserostek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I need to replace new wheel for my 08 Toyota Prius base model. I found some used Toyota wheels on Ebay. The seller stated that it doesn't come with any center cap, do I need new center cap as well? Also, should I just buy non OEM wheels? Please advice, I'm clueless. Thank you so much :)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm wondering what causes you to need a replacement wheel?

You will need a new center cap, if you don't have the cap from the original wheel. Make sure the used wheel you buy had not been damaged in an accident.

3. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wouldn't get an aftermarket wheel. Stick with OEM. You don't need a center cap. It's mainly a cosmetic thing, although it might help protect the front axle stub from the weather a bit. Put the wheel with the missing center cap on the back. You can also purchase center caps separately (Ebay is a good place), if the cap-less look.

Patrick--my post went through after yours. Is the center cap essential, even on the back? My parents have been missing one for a while--it disappeared in a tire shop.

4. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you need a wheel or just a hub cap? The trim ring came off my wife's car and I went to a hub cap shop and bought one for less than $20. It just snaps on around the edge of the rim.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Is the center cap essential, even on the back?"
    No, it serves a cosmetic function only.